I always needed to know everything. I hated watching mystery shows. Especially if they didn't know who the murder was or why he did it. The Black Dahlia case got on my nerves. I wanted to know why the killer did what he did. All unsolved mysteries get under my skin. I loved the facts. I needed the facts. I didn't like being in the dark. I hated it. I wanted the truth, not theories and lately life hadn't been giving me any answers. I felt as if I was missing something important, like a piece of me was missing. At times I felt like I didn't know myself.

School was okay but I needed more than okay. That was why I harassed Samara into this road trip. I needed some time to think away from home. I didn’t want to spend my spring in my room. I wouldn't have been able to chew things over with my mother breathing down my neck asking what was wrong. She seemed to be doing a lot more of that lately. She had always been over-protected and I was used to it but when I turned eighteen last year, she started watching me like a hawk and now that I was nine I couldn’t really take it many more. Even when I was away at school, I felt suffocated by her. She called often and found excuses to come to campus to visit. My school was two hours away from our house.

She would panic if she saw me in a slump. I needed to get away from it all. Even if it was only for a week. I had a feeling something big was going to happen and I had had that feeling for a while. I just didn't know what exactly was going to happen but I knew--felt that it was just around the corner. I had that feeling you get when you knew something was going to happen. My heart felt heavy like it had extra weight hanging on it. I just didn't know if what was going to happen was good or if it was bad. But I always believed everything happen for a reason.

I was slipping into a light slumber when I heard Samara gasp next to me. I pretended I didn't hear her. She probably saw something moving in the empty grassland on the other side of the car and decided it was Leather Face coming to kill us.

"I see head lights... Oh God. It's a truck. We're going to die." Samara grabbed my arm. "Jayla! Oh no, it's pulling in behind us."

I heard the rumbling of a truck as it pulled in slowly behind us. I sat up. I didn't want to admit it but I was kind of scared. My heart started pounding twice its normal speed. We were two teenage girls with no cell phones. Whoever was in that truck could kill us and no one would ever know what happened to us. I looked at Samara. She looked beyond frighten.

"We're going to die virgins!" She exclaimed. You would think that was the last thing to worry about but the thought had crossed my mind, too.

She was right we were going to die and virgins. I shouldn't have pushed Monahan off me three days ago.

I looked in the mirror. The door on the driver side was opening. I couldn't see that well because the lights from the truck were blinding me. All I could see was the silhouette of a man. I was guessing it was a man. I couldn’t be too sure. Samara hand gripped my arm harder.

"If I don't make it," She whispered. "…Tell my mom that I was the one who dented the side of her new car."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her stupidity. If I survived this, I told myself, I should really try to break that habit. "We're not going to die." Hopefully.

"You can say that because he's not going to your side of the car. Oh my God. What if it's Leather Face? "

"I'm saying it because what are the chances that we get attacked by Leather Face? Shouldn't he be dead by now? And wasn’t the real Leather Face from Wisconsin or something? I think there is a greater chance of whoever that is out there being Prince Charming."

"Oh yeah because Prince Charming spends his time driving up and down deserted roads, looking for princesses to rescue." She whispered, harshly.

"You never know." I whispered back.