"The last thing I'm gonna do is ask . . ." Ricky trailed off, and Athena looked up to see him standing in front of her. "Athena."

She offered him a small smile. "Hey, Ricky. Nice fashion statement."

He scoffed and pushed her shoulder a little. "Shut up."

Athena laughed slightly. "What were you two talking about?"

Ricky turned back to Big Red. Big Red nodded his head, almost urging him on to do something. Athena shared a confused look with Violetta before looking to Ricky once more.

"Can I — um, can I ask you something?" Ricky asked nervously.

Athena nodded. "Of course. You can ask me anything."

He took a deep breath. "Will you go to Homecoming with me?"

"I thought we already were with Vi and Red," Athena answered.

Ricky squeezed his eyes shut for a moment. "No, Attie, that's not what I meant. I meant . . . would you want to be my date to Homecoming?"

Athena blinked. "Oh." Her eyes then widened. "Oh."

"Yeah," Ricky responded. "It's okay if you don't want to, but I just assumed—"

"No!" Athena exclaimed a little too loudly, making Ricky stop talking. "No, Ricky, I would love that."

Ricky blinked in surprise. "You would?"

"I would." Athena hugged her books closer to her, a bright smile stretching across her face. "Ricky Bowen, I would be honored to be your date to Homecoming."

Ricky let out a breath of relief before the cutest smile adorned his features. Athena couldn't help the way her heart beat faster and how butterflies fluttered throughout her stomach. The two were staring at each other like the rest of the world had faded away. They were only snapped out of their trance by Violetta clearing her throat.

"Pick me up later, yeah?" Athena questioned.

He nodded. "Definitely. I'll text you what time."

They shared one more smile before Violetta took Athena's elbow in her hand and pulled her down the hallway. Both of them had stunned look on their faces.

"Did that really just happen?" Athena whispered.

"And you said nothing happened between you two," Violetta said.

Athena rolled her eyes and elbowed Violetta's side. "Be quiet."

And as she walked down the hallway, Athena felt as if she was on cloud nine.

--- ☆ • ♫ • ♪ • ♫ • ☆ ---

"AND . . . YOU'RE DONE," Artemis announced, letting the final curl fall among the rest on Athena's head.

Artemis had been ready for about an hour now and had assisted in getting Athena ready for Homecoming. She looked stunning in her silver dress. Artemis was going to the dance with some senior boy Athena didn't know, but he was currently being interrogated by their father, Adam, downstairs while their mother, Amanda, tried to stop him. Athena's older sister seemed so cool and collected, not nervous at all.

Athena couldn't say the same about herself. She sat in the chair in front of her mirror, nerves making her stomach churn and her heart race. Her dress was a beautiful purple color with some sparkles on the top part of the dress. No matter how pretty she felt in the dress at the moment, her overthinking managed to surpass that feeling.