Prologue (part 1): The Birth of a Star

Trigger Warning: panic attack.

If this triggers you, skip the scene that's between the hashtags (from ### to ###) and read the Author's Note to know what you missed.

"Once again, top skater All Might makes history, here in the Grand Prix final!"

Little Midoriya Izuku's eyes shone brighter with every successful jump, his face practically glued to the screen.

"Who is he, auntie Inko?" Bakugo Katsuki asked, just as enraptured as his friend beside him.

"That's All Might, dear." Midoriya Inko answered, not pausing from washing dishes. "He was a world-renowned ice skater, one of the best! He's retired now, but he still holds most of today's figure skating world records."

"But mama, if he's retired, how is he skating right now?" Izuku asked, eyes only leaving the skater for a moment.

"Oh, this isn't live, it's a recording." Inko clarified. "I've always been quite the fan, so I've recorded most of his performances. This one's from one of his best routines." A marvelous jump and the roaring of the crowd sounded from the TV, validating her statement.

"Woah, he's the coolest! Right, Izu?" Kacchan exclaimed loudly, prompting him to nod his head excitedly.

"We're gonna be the best ice skaters ever, Kacchan!"

"Yeah, better even than All Might!" They laughed as they began to spin around the TV set, and Inko chuckled, drying the last plates.

"I'll be looking forward to it, then!"

___

"Kacchan, you're so amazing! I hope I can skate like you someday."

"You got that right, Izu. So you'd better stop falling so far behind!"

Almost a year into ice skating lessons, 13-year-old Kacchan had proved to be a natural, taking to the ice like a fish takes to water.

Meanwhile, 12-year-old Izuku showed an unmatched passion and unwavering determination, enough to make him one of the greats.

Or so he thought.

"Ow!" Izuku shrieked, falling for the umpteenth time that day and scraping his knee. A shock of pain burst from the injury, but he didn't let that stop him.

He got back up, smiled as wide as ever, and tried the jump again.

And failed.

Again.

All the other students had paused to watch at this point, some with pity, and others with apathy, but most in mockery.

"Woah, Midoriya, kid, you've fallen one too many times already. Maybe this just isn't your thing." Kaya, the kid's skating instructor, said. "I mean, you got the drive, but... How should I put this..."

"You suck!" One of the kids shouted, many others laughing at the mean words.

Izuku froze, but he didn't cry. Kacchan said he was too old to cry.

Kaya groaned. "No, he doesn't. Don't say things like that Tsubasa." She then crouched and met Izuku's widened eyes. "Midoriya, all I'm saying is that maybe you're not built for this. Ice skating needs a lot of skill and talent. Why not try out ballet, though? It's similar, plus there's a studio nearby."

"Yeah, Midoriya! Go become a ballerina!" Another kid taunted, prompting another round of boisterous laughter.

Izuku started to tremble, fists clenched, but he still didn't cry.