28. BASSICALLY

Depuis le début

"And this is where I leave you guys." Emily grabbed my arm and pulled me in the crowd again.

"Nice seeing you guys." I blew kisses at her parents laughing behind me. I didn't even have anything to talk about to them. Usually I have a story to tell. Emily pulls me away before I can say hello.

I bumped into her cousin Cory while running behind her. Emily tripped but stood back up immediately not trying to embarrass herself. She looked to her left and spotted her childhood friend Ian standing near the corner by himself drinking an alcohol beverage in a red plastic cup. I let go of Emily's hand and watched her run like a turtle dove to Ian. He seemed happy to see her anyway.

Someone grabbed my waist while I took a drink off the tray as a waiter was carrying around on her shoulder.

"Ellah?" Emily's father stood behind me.

"Oh hey!" I greeted him with a kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you for coming to our party. Where is the rest of your family?" He looked around hoping he'd see Drew, Angie, or Lonnie.

"Oh my parents are spending their alone time together and Drew is on a business trip but I'm here." I started smiling heavily.

"Well Okay. They're missing out on this incredible party we're throwing." He took the drink out my hand and took a sip.

"Don't get too drunk. Anyway have fun princess." He kissed my cheek and walked back rapidly to his wife.

"I'll try!"

After an hour of wild dancing and drinking enough alcohol to satisfy myself, I stopped and took a seat near a random person smoking a cigarette. The young man seemed to be having the time of his life. Puff, puff, blow.

I watched him like television waiting for the next puff.

"Can I help you?" he asked me.

He had a nose piercing on his nose, a lighter in his right hand and the cigarette in his left. He had a dressy kind of hoodie on over his head. The street lights sparkled in his hazel eyes while looking at me. They were painted orange in them life fire. Couldn't help to look away. He had me lost for words. He was shining like a freaking Greek God. Please don't be related to Emily!

"Uh no but um it feels nice outside."

"Mhm." He looked like he didn't give a damn about anything.

"Are you related to Emily?"

"Who's that?"

"The daughter of the people throwing this party."

"Oh, I was invited by a friend. He's over there talking to a girl." He pointed at Ian standing at the corner still speaking to Emily.

I smiled a little bit.

"That's Emily," I pointed at her from a distance. "I didn't know you were friends with Ian."

"Oh and yea he's cool."

Everyone started gathering together in a circle to watch the Ball Drop in Manhattan, New York on television.

"40, 39, 38, 37, 36, 35, 34." The crowd was yelling along with the rest of the people in the television.

"I can't believe 2015 is almost here." I said biting my bottom lip feeling nervous.

"Me either."

"What's your name?" I asked him.

"Malakai."

"Ellah." we shook hands looking into each others eyes.

"You're very gorgeous by the way." He said smirking for a moment.

"You too!" 

"Thank you."

"18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13."

"OH MY GOD IT'S ALMOST HERE!!" Emily screamed from the crowd. I recognize her voice when I hear it.

"Shit twenty-fourteen was one hell of a year man." Malakai said.

"The best year for me." I said thinking back in time to when I won WBDT and the moments Darnell, Emily, Heavenly, and I shared celebrating recklessly with the celebrities.

"11,10,9,8,7."

Everyone started clapping along with the numbers on the countdown appearing on the telescreen in Times Square.

"4,3,2,1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!" Everyone screamed in my ears treachously.

The music came back on dropping a hip-hop bass blasting through the speakers.

Emily's parents were standing a couple inches away from Malakai and I. They looked at me from the side and yelled 'Happy New Year' as loud as they can over the music. Malakai laughed at them and so did I.

They looked so silly yelling like that with their mouths opened wide.

"Ahaha priceless!" Malakai said.

"Happy New Year Mally." I hugged him. I just gave him a nickname.

"Happy New Year to you too." he rubbed my back with his naked fingers and pulled back a couple seconds later.

Everyone continued dancing and yelling out cheerful words into the dark night throughout the rest of the party while I had another idea on my worrying mind.