Chapter Twenty-Seven - The Distance

Start from the beginning

I chuckle, pulling my foot underneath me as I get more comfortable in my seat. "Hello again, Reece."

His face softens into a dimpled smile, "Hi, Sunshine."

"Why do you call her that?" A female voice interrupts. It's Ella. "I've been meaning to ask you."

Reece's lips fall back into their usual semi-annoyed line as he turns to look at her. "Is it a problem?"

"No, silly!" I hear her giggle as her hand comes and rests on his shoulder. I can't see the rest of her, only her hand and my eyes zone in on that one movement. He lets her touch him like that? "I'm just curious."

Reece looks down at her hand for a second before shrugging it off. I guess he doesn't let her touch him like that. "It's because she's basically a ray of sunshine," He turns his head back so that he can look at me, a slight smile lifting his lips again, "It suits her."

"Aww, you're too cute, Reece," I coo, wishing he were here so I could reach out and pinch his cheeks. He'd hate that, but I'd do it anyway.

He glares at me playfully, "No I'm not."

I sigh dramatically, "I don't know why you keep denying it, Reecey."

He chuckles softly, "Alright, we're not having this debate again."

"It's not a debate if there's only one right answer. It's just a fact. You are cute. Stop denying it."

He sighs softly, "Sunshine, if I'm cute, there's not even a word to describe you."

I furrow my brows, "What do you mean?"

"Well, I would use cute to describe you, but now that you claim I'm cute, you're about a thousand times cuter than me, so there's no word to even describe that," he finishes with a small smile.

I sit quietly for a moment, biting back a huge grin, "And that right there is why I keep calling you cute."

~

Tuesday the 8th of December. I'm at my locker now, quickly changing some books between classes. I finish putting some of my books away and slam my locker shut, turning to merge into the flow of students. But I'm stopped by a body standing right behind me.

It's a boy. He's tall. About 6'1". He has blonde, wavy hair which is long on top and short on the sides, parted in the middle. He's pretty handsome with high cheekbones and hazel eyes. Not really my type though. He looks too much like a 'goody-goody'. No tattoos or anything that I can see. Who knew I have a thing for bad boys?

"Um, hi?" I question awkwardly, tucking some of my hair behind my ear.

He smirks, dropping his gaze over my body quickly before meeting my eyes, "Hi, gorgeous."

"Can I help you?" I ask, realizing what this was. He's a player and he's trying to get in my pants. Not happening.

His smirk deepens, "Yeah, I could use your help," He leans in closer, "I've been looking for a really pretty girl to take on a date. I think you could help with that."

I pull back, my back hitting my locker, "Um, no thanks."

His eyes narrow slightly, "Why not?"

My eyes widen and I stutter, "I- um, because I... have a boyfriend."

"Oh really?" He raises an eyebrow, clearly not believing me. Why did I have to stutter?

"Yeah," I swallow, roughly before an idea hits me. I quickly dig my phone out of my pocket and turn it on to show him my lock screen. "This is him."