Chapter Ten.

Tony and Ziva were racing through traffic toward the south part of town. Their assignment was to find the payphone and bring it back for Abby to analyze. Agents were going to meet them there to begin searching.

Tony had let Ziva drive without any fight, that part alone worried her not even considering the fact that he had not said one word to her since they left. She glanced over at him for probably the hundredth time.

"What?" He asked irritated.

"You have been very quiet."

"Yeah well I thought the usual complaint was nobody could get me to shut up."

"You are angry." Ziva observed.

"Tony didn't say anything for another minute or so.

"I just can't wrap my head around it. Wilson lied to us. I trust him, I respect him. I mean... Why? Why wouldn't McGee say anything?"

Ziva chose her words carefully.

"Perhaps he was afraid you would not believe him. He saw the affection you had for Wilson maybe he believed you would side with him first. He was there when we argued that day about what happened. He saw how venomously you defended Wilson."

"Ziva that was different. You were speculating based on a 10 minute conversation, less even. McGee was there, he lived it. I couldn't have denied that."

"He probably though you would try. I'm sure he was in shock. He probably was not thinking rationally and you were not either."

"There has got to be an explanation for Wilson lying though." Tony mused.

"There! There it is." Ziva said angrily slamming the steering wheel making Tony jump. "You have proof. You said it. Wilson lied to us and yet still you wish for some way to defend him. That is why McGee did not speak up. You still choose Wilson over McGee."

Tony glared at Ziva then started straight ahead.

"McGee is my friend and I trust him. I just want an explanation. Is that too much to ask for?"

"Sometimes we must settle for what we are given, Tony, for that I am sorry." Ziva said gently.

The rest of the trip was quiet until they reached their destination.

"I hope McGee is alright." Ziva said suddenly turning off the ignition.

"Yeah, me too Ziva. Me too." Tony said stepping out of the car.

Gibbs started to get on the elevator to go up and wait for McGee's father, then thought better and decided to make a short detour. Something Abby had said got him thinking, besides he did need medical advice.

Gibbs walked into autopsy. Ducky and Jimmy were working on some paperwork and inventory.

"Ah, Jethro, what can we do for you today? I'm afraid I don't have any more information to give you about your dead Marines."

"It's not about this case Duck. More personal."

Jimmy having been through this situation many times began to discreetly make an exit.

"Hold on Jimmy, I want to talk to you too." Gibbs said before the young man got to the door.

"Um, um-what-what do you want me to say?" Jimmy stuttered.

Gibbs stared at him for a moment then turned to Ducky.

"McGee is missing."

The medical examiner sat up straighter

"Oh dear. When did it happen?"

Jimmy was opening and closing his mouth apparently trying to say something but not getting the words out.