Chapter Four

Wednesday afternoon

McGee was in the bullpen writing a program to try and crack the encryption on Carrol's computer. He knew that was the key if he could only concentrate long enough to find it. He hadn't had more than five hours of sleep in the last three days and even those hours had been plagued by nightmares that only got more real and vivid each time. He had woken up to his own cries, drenched in sweat more times than he cared to remember. It was starting to catch up with him. He had to jerk himself awake more than a couple of times much to the amusement of Tony, even Ziva had to smile.

He felt himself falling asleep this time but was too exhausted to try and wake up. He was floating. It was nice until he was suddenly hit by a freezng cold sensation. Now he wasn't floating, he was sinking, being pulled under by a force that would't let go. He tried to yell for help but nothing would come out. Tried to breath but couldn't. He was going to die! The all too familiar feeling of panic, terror and helplessness was overtaking him as he felt his life slipping away. The worst part though was that he could hear her screaming. He couldn't see or reach her but he could hear her pleading for help. He reached out.

"McGee, McGee! Come on wake up Probie!"

A yell and a shake pulled Tim out of this nightmare and back to the consciousness, but he couldn't shake the sickened feeling that dream always brought with it.

McGee looked up. Tony was gripping his shoulder and actually looked worried. Ziva had walked to his desk as well.

"You ok man?" Tony asked. McGee shook him off. "Im fine"

"You did not sound fine," Ziva said. "You were yelling and moaning."

"You sounded..." Tony paused.

"Afraid" Ziva finished for him.

"Well I'm not, now leave me alone!" McGe made a beeline to the restrooms. He pushed the door open and caught sigth of himself in a mirror. A pale face and haunted eyes started back at him. He chastised himself. Get it together, your're a grown man and a federal agent, you will not fall apart here, not now, you've gotten too far.

He stayed there for about ten more minutres and then decided he should get back to the squad room. Tony and Ziva glanced up as he came in but didn't say anyting. He occasionally caught one or both of them looking at him with concern.

Hours later he was just finishing up calling Teal's family and when Gibbs came in and stopped in front of his desk. Tim looked up, Tony and Ziva had mysteriously disappeared.

"Boss no one can name any reason why someone would kill Teal. His sister is coming in tomorrow to claim his personal effects."

Gibbs was looking at McGee with a strange expression. "You ok McGee?"

McGee was surprised by the question, not because he wasn't having problems but Gibbs seemed preoccupied with the case and hadn't really paid his state of mind much attention. He hesitated a moment. Should I tell him? What would I say? He looked up at Gibbs who surprising looked encouraging. He just couldn't though.

"I'm fine Boss."

"Ducky said you were upset about the kids drowning."

"I think we were all upset Boss." McGee said hoping desperately Gibbs would drop the subject.

Gibbs' eyes narrowed only slightly. "Go home for a couple of hours McGee, get some sleep."

"Boss?" McGee realized Tony or Ziva or both must have mentioned his drowsiness and nightmare to Gibbs.

"Go, now." Gibbs said walking to his desk.

"Yes Boss." McGee grabbed his stuff. He arrived at his apartment and swa his answering machine blinking. I can't do this now. He walked past his computer to his bedroom, as he did he heard the familiar ding of his Instant messaging application. When he saw the name he smiled for the first time in days and set down to achieve some much needed cheering up.