1 - Destined for Greatness

Miles' POV:

"WOOHOOOOOO!" The flashing lights of New York City buzzed around me, as people below clapped and cheered for their hero.

Lemme introduce myself. My name is miles Morales, and I am the one and only spider man. Well, I've actually met five other spider people, but they were all from different dimensions and you don't need to know about them. Well, I beat some villains once, twice, and a couple hundred other times, seriously New York has a real crime problem. I saved everyone, but I couldn't save my uncle. Which is why I'm currently swinging across the city at about 50 miles per hour, probably breaking a ton of air traffic rules.

Swinging into my open dorm window, i fist-bumped Ganke and ripped off my mask. Ganke Lee, the Korean-American guy with just about the sweetest name ever, is also my best bud. We do everything together, and he's finally gotten used to me suddenly appearing through our window. We got such a great friendship going that he didn't even question my habit of walking around in my underwear. You didn't just hear that.

Whatever, don't judge me.

Pulling my suit out of the wardrobe, I stripped off the spandex, murmuring,
"Didn't even wanna go to this stupid thing anyway, why did it have to be-"
"Miles!"
"Mom, gimme one second!"

Looking in the full length mirror and straightening my tie, I took a deep breath and opened the door.
"See you later Ganke."

Mom and Dad stood outside the door, and I cringed as the former hugged me tight enough to crush my skinny ass.

"Come on, let's go. We don't wanna be late to our own relatives memorial." Dad grumbled, and gave me a pat on the back as we walked out of the school.

Today is exactly a year after Uncle Aaron died, and honestly...I'm not taking it very well. When we buried him, I cried. I haven't cried in forever. I was not proud of it. And I'm not gonna pretend that Aaron was in the clouds looking down on me fondly or some shit, cause I know he was scolding my ass for showing weakness.

I've had nightmares about him dying for months. Every night I wake up, sweating after remembering his dead eyes, like the hollows of death itself.

Okay, that got deep real quick. Imma just...leave that there. Let it sit. Like a pet.
ANYWAY I step out the car, dry my eyes, give myself a li'l pep talk, a light slap to the face, and I was ready.

#

Jamie's POV:
"Mom, you know I don't want to move!" I groaned, throwing my hands up in exasperation. "The Visions sounds like a school for stuck up rich kids. Which I am not."

"Jamie," My mom sighed, and I crossed my arms, ready to drag her in this shit till tomorrow. There was no way I'd fit in in a school for rich jerks. "You know there are lots more job options for me in New York! And you getting that scholarship is a blessing to us!"

I don't understand...I purposely tried to fail that stupid exam so I wouldn't have to move from LA. Huffing, I balled up my fists and stomped out the room. I was so done with this shit.

Miles' POV:

"You look like crap."
"Gee, thanks Ganke. I appreciate that."
Ganke leaned back in his stupidly squeaky chair and raised a stupidly irritating eyebrow at me while i tugged off my jacket. God, it was hot in here.
"Just go on a joy swing dude."
I stopped unbuttoning my shirt and sceptically looked at him.
"As if that's going to work, bro."
It worked.

Sitting on the torch of Lady Liberty, inspecting the sticker I slapped across it a year ago. Boy, those were the good days. When Kingpin was terrorising the 6 of us, and the other 5 spider people were in danger of fading out of existence.

...

Who am I kidding its way better now.

Sighing, I kicked my legs in no apparent rhythm. The sun was about to set, and i thought about tomorrow. Would it be different? Or the same, like all days were. The repetitive pattern of wake up, do school, maybe save the city, sleep, had become my routine and I needed something new to do. But what is there when you've lived in New York all your life?