They soon found themselves at the end of the street once more, Frank's fingers routinely running along the fence whilst they turned the corner. The longest of the streets stretched out until it didn't, running off into grass as the two routinely hopped off the short slope -- starting off down the worn, dirt path trailing towards the small fields settled further out, hidden from pedestrian view.

Frank could visibly see Gerard stiffen at the remaining smolders of gentle smoke wisping from what they could see of Aella -- a grand, crisped stump in the distance as Gerard's expression fell even further. "Oh, no..."

Gerard picked up into a sudden sprint, leaving Frank in his dust. The latter knew better than to chase after him in this condition, a frown of his own atop his face while Gerard approached the wreckage -- arms wrapped tight around himself.

Still left, was quite a hefty stump. Charred and darkened violently around the edges and down the sides, cracked splinters jutting from the jagged outcrops and remaining shreds of her grand trunk. Spare, fallen limbs and dark ash had settled all around, Gerard choking out in disbelief as he gazed at the horror that was the charred remains of Aella.

The remains themselves were still towering taller than both boys, though not by a large amount -- with a few feet or so gained over Gerard as he shook his head. He refused to believe the harsh slap of reality abusing his chest quenching beneath the terror of it all.

Frank still trailed behind, having finished walking the distance between them, yet lingering a few feet to leave Gerard his space. The latter couldn't stop staring at the burnt wreckage of what was once beautiful, lips parted in shock and utter horror as his fingers twitched and clenched around an empty feeling.

"You alright?" Frank finally asked, voice quiet as guilt drowned within him -- even if the whole ordeal hadn't been his fault in the slightest.

Gerard only shook his head, Frank not really expecting much less. The raven-haired boy dropped to the ground, crouching on the heels of his toes as he reluctantly reached out his fingers towards the base of the ruin. "How is this even possible..."

Frank didn't reply to that, sure that anything he could've said would've proven utterly unhelpful in the grand scheme of things. Gerard's trailed his fingertips along where the ancient writings used to sit engraved, the remains sparse -- but still just barely there, faded with the kiss of death upon it.

Gerard's fingers curled into a fist, bringing his hand back to himself as he gazed up to the sky -- a solemn look upon his face, eyes sad as Frank only watched in silence and sympathy. "I don't understand," Gerard spoke quietly.

"Neither do I," Frank replied just as low, pursing his lips as he watched the breeze whip the grass oh-so-softly.

"I just... there's no physical way this should've been possible, unless--" Gerard said, pausing as realization struck him like the bolt of lightning that cursed Aella to this fate. "...Unless she was already dead," Gerard said in a coarse whisper.

"What?" Frank asked in genuine shock, eyes raking over the carnage.

"She couldn't have been dead," Gerard said quickly, his head shaking. "No, that couldn't have been it. I-- I don't--"

Frank couldn't do much to aid in Gerard's breakdown, watching with a saddened expression as Gerard's hands flew to cover his face once more. Gerard's body was shivering just as it had last night, head shaking and spare hair flying to the side with the lap of the wind against the dark locks.

"This is so bad, Frank, this is so fucking bad," Gerard cried out in desperation again, finally turning to the younger boy with wide eyes. "And you had just been bound, too, I-- oh my god."