The bonds that hold us

Start from the beginning

Ron frowned slightly before smiling. "Well yeah, but you did that for her protection! It's obvious you love her, mate," he said with conviction.

Hermione quickly jumped in before Harry could think. "Of course Harry, you're perfect for each other!"

Harry shook his head slowly but didn't say anything, and his silence was taken as agreement by them both. His two friends smiled and started to make their way towards the grieving remains of the Weasley family.

As the trio approached the crowds parted easily, people thanking Harry even in their grief.

"Oh, Harry dear!" Cried Mrs. Weasley as she pulled Harry into a tight hug.

Harry, still dazed by the recent events, felt himself stiffen at the contact. Feeling this, Mrs. Weasley let him go and looked him up and down.

"Oh look at you, are you hurt dear?" She asked, receiving a slow shake of his head from Harry.

Releasing him with a sigh Molly stepped back in time to avoid Ginny, who had launched herself at Harry and clinged to him as she sobbed.

"Oh Harry, it's so awful," she wailed, grabbing him tightly and making Harry wince as he realised that, although he wasn't seriously hurt, he was bruised and sore.

That's when Harry realised who was missing. George was standing alone, well not standing, being held up by Bill and Arthur. The look on his face was void of life. Looking around with panic, Harry felt his throat tighten.

"Fred?" He asked, his voice coming out unrecognisable but still carried to those around him.

The only reply he got was a tightened grip and a fresh bout of crying. His eyes however were still locked on George, who looked as lost as he felt, like he had just lost half of his soul.

"I'm just so happy you're alive," Ginny said, drawing attention back to herself. "How did you survive, Harry? You were dead!" She asked, almost hysterically.

"I don't know," Harry said as he realised everybody had gone silent when she had spoken.

"It's a miracle," Ron said after the silence had grown awkward enough for even him to recognise.

"Yeah," Harry agreed half heartedly, pulling away from Ginny to rub at his neck in a nervous gesture. Looking around once again at the carnage, Harry closed his eyes, exhaustion making him sway slightly on his feat.

"Oh. look at you," Molly spoke, once again pulling Harry into a hug, "you're exhausted; we're all exhausted. We should get out of here. There's nothing more to be done."

Nodding because he really wanted to leave this place, Harry barely noticed the walk to the gates or apparating away with the Weasleys.

~

In the days that followed after Harry returned to the Burrow with the Weasleys, Harry found it hard to reconnect. Bill and Fleur left the day after the battle, taking with them George who they felt needed time to try and come to terms with his grief. Harry, however, barely noticed their absence as he just wasn't there and with the amount of potions he was on from Mrs. Weasley to help him heal, he didn't mind.

"How are you feeling harry?" Ginny asked a few days later, sitting down next to Harry in the living room. He had been alone for most of the day, simply sitting and trying to gather his thoughts.

Shrugging Harry tried to smile at her, determined to not make her grief worse. "I'll be okay," he said finally, not wanting to lie.

Ginny bit her lip at that, drawing Harry's attention to her mouth. He had kissed those lips countless times, yet he had no desire to do so again. He thought it strange, as he had had every intention of getting back with her after the war.