Godfather

The baby was beautiful. With my eyes and my boyfriend, Hunter's nose. She was the new love of my life. Little Madeline Y/L/N.

The hospital room door creaked open, and a familiar face entered. Louis grinned broadly at me, his blue eyes sparkling.

"Louis!" I said in a whisper. He closed the door quietly and came over to Madeline and I.

"Want to hold her?" I asked immediately, wanting my best friend to hold my bundle of joy.

"Yes!" Louis said excitedly. He took the small creature from my arms. He looked down at Madeline with such a warm smile.

"Oh, y/n," he breathed. "She's perfect."

"Thanks," I said with a weak smile. Something odd and different pounded in my heart as I watched Louis coo over my baby. Why hadn't I felt this way when Hunter held her?

My thoughts about Hunter were interrupted by the man himself. Hunter barged in the room loudly. When he saw Louis he made a face. Louis was too preoccupied with Madeline to notice, but because of all the noise Hunter had made, Madeline's face scrunched up and she began to cry.

"Give her to me, I'm her dad, she'll settle for me," Hunter demanded, holding out expectant hands to Louis. Louis looked reluctant, and I gave him an apologetic look. Louis sighed but handed Madeline to her father. Madeline wailed even more once in Hunter's arms, maybe because he definitely didn't know how to hold a baby.

"Hey let me have her," I said nervously. "She's probably hungry."

Hunter obliged, after all, he'd only taken her so Louis wouldn't have her. Louis looked longing at the pink bundle, he obviously wanted to have held her longer.

I took her in my arms and she calmed easily. I had a theory that if I'd handed her back to Louis she would've been fine too. Hunter was, to put it nicely, not ready for fatherhood. Sure he was a generally sweet guy, who was a good laugh, but he was immature, and let jealously really affect him. He'd always been jealous of Louis, saying that Louis was secretly in love with me. I didn't agree, plus Louis was one of my best friends, I wasn't about to give him up.

"Louis, I have a surprise for you," I said exuberantly. Louis looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"I want you to be Madeline's Godfather," I said with a bright grin.

"Really!" Louis's voice sounded so odd, filled with a mixture of emotions. His face was light with excitement, but his eyes were a dark, melancholy blue.

"I would be honored," he whispered as though raising his voice would make me change my mind. I saw tears in his eyes, but for some reason I couldn't tell if they were happy or sad. He sat down next to me, peering down at Madeline's face gently. He reached over and placed his hand on mine, and I felt a jolt jump start my heart into rapid beats. He was so beautiful, so perfect to be my child's godfather.

Maybe I knew then that I wanted something more from Louis, that Hunter had been right, but I pretended very well that I hadn't seen the light. Hunter left the room, angrily slamming the door.

"I take it he doesn't agree with your decision," Louis's eyes were bright again, and filled with laughter. He was enjoying bothering Hunter.

"Well....no," I laughed. "But who cares."

We sat there a little longer just enjoying each other, and the baby's company. Louis was so warm, so kind, so loving to Madeline already. I have to admit, I accidentally called him Madeline's father in my head multiple times. By the end of the visit, I felt like I was aching for something that could've been.

Well, time went on and I realized more and more how unfit for parenting Hunter was. He didn't take care of anything and complained about the little things he needed to do. I often found myself going over to Louis's when I needed help. Louis was always excited to help because he loved Madeline. He was always available, always so kind, and I felt myself doing something I'd dreaded. I was falling for Louis. I tried to ignore the feelings for Madeline's sake, she needed Louis in her life, I couldn't ruin their bond.

A couple of weeks after Madeline had turned 1, Hunter and I had a huge fight. I thought maybe it'd be good to talk to him about some of the help I needed, but he wouldn't listen. The longer we talked the louder he got and I was worried that Madeline would wake up. I tried to tell him to be quiet, but he told me he didn't care how loud he was being. That was when I realized he didn't care about Madeline, and he needed to leave. I ordered him out of my flat in a rage, and he didn't try to stay.

For a while I was furious, pacing the floor, frustration making my head spin. I punched pillows, screamed into blankets, but nothing worked, and eventually, I was gripped by an awful sadness. Poor Madeline would have parents who weren't together, she'd always wonder if it was her fault he left. I felt tears explode in my eyes, gushing down my face as I sobbed for the family that could've been. I decided to call Louis.

"Hey y/n what's up?" He asked.

"C-can you c-come over?" I stuttered through the tears.

"Oh y/n are you crying, of course, I'll come over!" He was there in a matter of minutes, holding me against his chest. His arms were where I felt the safest. I explained through sobs what had happened. Louis listened kindly and held me throughout the whole time.

"So you and Hunter are over for good?" Louis asked finally.

"Yes, definitely, it's been over for a while, but it was never official till now," I said.

"Y/n," Louis's voice shook slightly. "I need to tell you something."

"Yeah," I said, looking into his gorgeous blue eyes. We were so close, I felt myself yern to kiss his soft lips.

"I-I," he was struggling to get the words out. "I love you."

My mouth popped open like a fish, I couldn't quite believe my ears. He was in love with me. What was going on?

"I've loved you for so long. I was going to tell you, but then you got with Hunter. I convinced myself it wouldn't last long because he was a fucking moron, but then you got pregnant. I knew then that it was all over, that I couldn't hope of winning you over. When you made me Madeline's Godfather, that was the nail in the coffin. I felt pretty miserable, which is selfish I know because you'd just had a baby, but then I got to know Madeline. She's perfect I don't care that her father hated me or that I hated him. I love her with all my heart she's brilliant. Now you and Hunter are not together, and I have hope again, I can't let another chance slip by me. So y/n I love you, I love you more than the moon and the stars, and I can't live without you."

I was still staring open-mouthed at him. He winced when he saw my stunned face, associating it with unreciprocated feelings.

"I know this isn't the best time, and I completely understand if you don't want to answer. I just want to let you know whatever you say I will still always be here for you and Madeline. You two mean so much to me, but if you're too uncomfortable I can leave you alone too."

"Louis, no," I gasped. "No, I love you too. I never want you to leave. I'm just shocked, and apprehensive. Won't it be weird for you to be with me, to raise another man's child?" I asked worriedly.

"No, I don't care, I love Madeline no matter who the father is, Hell I'd love her even if she wasn't your daughter," he laughed. "I love you so much, we'll make it work."

"You sure?" My voice quavered.

"Promise," he said moving in closer. His lips brushed mine and we closed the gap between us.

A year later Louis and I were married and eventually had three more children. We made our situation work. Madeline was always loved and wanted by both of us. Sometimes she was a bit sad that her father seemed to want nothing to do with her, but she had a wonderfully supportive father in Louis and she was so grateful for that.