23: The Great Escape

Lia:

In truth, I didn't want him to go. I still had months left here, exams included and I didn't want to do it without him, or Fred if I was being really truthful. But the day came, he didn't tell me how or when, they didn't tell anyone else why. He hadn't been at breakfast and we had been given the day to study. I hunted everywhere for him. Until I stumbled across him in the alcove at the bottom of Gryffindor Tower. "you know it's rude to leave without saying goodbye". He was sitting on the steps, as he often did when he needed to be alone.

"I don't like goodbyes" he said quietly. He looked up, his green eyes were sparkling with tears. "that's my jumper" he chuckled, admiring the Gryffindor Quidditch Jumper I was wearing that had his name embroidered across the back

"I know" I smiled.

"looks better on you anyway" he said as I sat beside him, I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"it's not goodbye" I told him, "you can never say goodbye to Hogwarts, not really".

"it's not that" he rubbed his nose and then ran his fingers through his hair, he did that when he was stressed "I know, you're okay and that you can look after yourself and all that, I just, are you going to be okay, with Umbridge, because we can stay". He would give all that up, for a little while longer and put up with all that for me. I pressed a kiss to the side of his mouth and then lay my hand across his face.

"it's only for a little while, I'll come visit after exams" I said quietly, feeling my throat start to close up. I pecked him on the cheek and stood up quickly walking away. I didn't want to cry, it would only make him feel worse. I was across the room. When I heard him standing up. I apparated smack into him throwing my arms around his neck, burying my face into his shoulder, trying to hold in every tear. He gripped me tight at the waist. Hi hands sliding under my jumper as he placed me back down onto the ground. I revelled in that small bit of contact.

"you'd think Jones" he laughed, as I drew back "that you were going to miss me". He then suddenly kissed me. Not a desperate, final goodbye kiss. More like a lazy kiss, the kind you have when you've got all the time in the world, more like I'll see you later.

"go" I swallowed "go show them how to say goodbye". He kissed me on the neck and then the cheek and then quickly on the lips one more time. He skipped towards the door.

"you are my star" he smiled.

"get out of here Weasley" I laughed as his red hair disappeared around the door. I slumped down on to the stairs. Then a clatter behind me announced Harry on the stairs.

"have you seen Fred and George?" he asked

"George just left" I swallowed, trying to hide the emotion "common room I think". Harry thanked me. I noticed the cloak and parchment in his hands. He left and the door rattled shut once more. I let the tears slip down my face. I pulled dup the jumper just so I could smell him around me again. I felt cold. Not like I normally was, like when you take off your coat out in the cold air and you miss that warm barrier. A while later I heard bangs and pops going off along corridors. I could see the courtyard outside the main building as thousands of coloured rockets burst into the sky followed by two boys on broom sticks to tremendous applause. A huge explosion went off to reveal a large "W" in the sky. They had done it, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. I smiled as more tears slipped down. Even though I loved him and I would miss him. I was incredibly proud of his fierce and unrivalled talent at breaking the rules in such spectacular fashion.

"you did it, Lia" Alicia said to me as the Transfiguration paper floated from my desk "that's your last one". Relief seeped over my body. I could cry I was that happy.

"I'm sorry you're not done today" I smiled.

"that is what I get for taking care of magical creatures for a blood NEWT" she laughed. We filtered out of the exam hall. many of us smiling as we knew now, we were free. It had been almost a month since Fred and George had made their spectacular exit. Their letters were sporadic as Umbridge had begun to read our mail. I missed him, a lot. It was the quieter days, as he would call them, when I wasn't quiet felling myself were the worst. But then again, the happy days were pretty crappy too. I missed him more than anything. The girls had done their best and surprisingly, I wasn't as much of a sappy girlfriend as I thought I'd be. I was doing quite well.

"it's coming to end now, isn't it" I said to Alicia as it all suddenly hit me "this is it". She nodded. A sad expression falling over her face.

"yes, I guess it is". We walked back to the common room. The common room was full of fifth years studying for the OWLS, Lee was on a table hollering and singing that he had never been so happy in his life.

"congrats guys" Ron said from behind Hermione's pile of books.

"Lee, get down" I laughed "thanks, nice to be free". Silence fell across the room and Lee quickly stumbled form the table.

"Lia Jones" McGonagall's voice floated through the room "Mr. Jordan do pull yourself together. Ms. Jones, change and come to my office please". The common room hissed and I groaned when she was out of earshot.

"what did you do?" Alicia asked.

"I don't know and to be honest I don't care" I laughed. I was free.

I shrugged off my robes and school uniform and into a pair of faux leather trousers and a warm red jumper. I grabbed a coat as well. Just in case. I knocked on McGonagall's door. Shoving my wand into my pocket as she called me to enter. "Ms. Jones, transfiguration?"

"it was okay" I smiled to her, "Intended transformation, body weight, viciousness, wand power, concentration and the fifth unknown variable Z". she smiled.

"congratulations, your time here is nearly over"I nodded. "but I have need of you this evening, for, well, some extra curricularactivities" she pointed towards the fire. The flames turning green as she did. "tellMrs. Weasley that I will send your things after you". With a crack I disapeared.My heart was racing at a million miles an hour when I appeared in the kitchenof house I had never seen before. It was a mismatched family home. With spotsself stirring and a cat on the arm chair by the fire. Nine chairs around akitchen table. The Burrow.