Chapter 1: The Producer, Part I

╰┈ ➤  ❝ A fox, once mated, never abandons its mate until death

╰┈ ➤ ❝ A fox, once mated, never abandons its mate until death.

𝑵𝑶𝑾 𝑳𝑶𝑨𝑫𝑰𝑵𝑮 . . .

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

JEUNG YUNHEE had spent many, many, years working at a broadcasting station as a researcher for urban mythology. Like many of her kind, she wanted to live a life that had a sense of normalcy, which is why she stuck to being a studio writer for what felt like ages.

It was the day that Team Leader Choi officially hired a woman named Nam Jiah for the producer position, when things changed.

There was barely a cloud in the sky when Yunhee woke up that morning, so why was it that the sun was shining... Yet the sky was crying? There wasn't much she could do about it, she was already inside the office building where she worked for TVC. Sun showers were rare, but when she checked the weather on her phone, the rain wasn't even predicted today.

Still, Yunhee had an eyebrow raised in suspicion while she swiped her I.D. card to get further into the building. Her instincts were telling her that something was off about the "presence" that the weather had today.

As she turned her body the tiniest bit in the direction towards the entry doors to put her card back in her purse, a blood-red umbrella with beautiful embroidery stood out to her eyes amongst the crowd of people hurrying inside. The person was taking their sweet time, strolling inside at his own pace.

Yunhee knew he didn't work here, she would've recognized the umbrella at the slightest bit, right?

The next thing the woman knew, she found herself purposely pulling out her phone to fake "text," so she could get a glance at the man who finally closed his umbrella and let his long legs carry himself past her - or so she thought.

The closer the mysterious stranger got, the more her supernatural instincts kicked in.

He wasn't going to pass her, he was heading towards her.

"You, I need you to do something for me."

The thought alone of how Yunhee got herself into this kind of predicament frustrated her.

The more she listened in on the new PD's story about why she believes in urban myths, the more she cursed the nine-tailed fox with the red umbrella for proving her differently.

"My parents disappeared after an accident when I was a child, I've been trying to figure out what happened ever since, I'm positive it had to do with the supernatural. My love for researching urban myths brought me here..."

"Do I know you, sir?" Yunhee asked, feeling extremely taken aback by the forwardness the stranger had, who was he to automatically demand things of her? They hadn't met once before, but both knew they weren't human.

"No, but knowing me will pay off for you later." He answered, a hint of attitude laced in his deep voice, but his lips pursed the second he focused on Yunhee, letting out a sigh when he noticed that she wasn't buying the mysterious demeanor.

"Fine, I'll get to the point." The stranger caved, rolling his eyes as he closed the seal of his umbrella, holding it firmly in his hands. "You and I are both of the same species, we're good protectors. I need you to watch your new coworker every day from the moment she arrives until the second she steps in her house, she's at risk and I will not let her become injured by a world that she doesn't belong in."

"Why would I listen to a stranger's request to stalk a pretty young woman?" Yunhee questioned, her jaw lowered slightly in awe of his request, he was joking... right?

"Because I need to confirm something about her, she's the woman who lost her parents at the Yeou Gogae accident of 1999. If I'm right, you have to take my request, if I'm wrong, you never have to see my face again." The stranger, who had dark blood-orange colored hair, told her, taking a step closer as he eyed her carefully. "When your shift ends, and when I'm right, you have to wait here at this very spot for a man named Shinjoo. I'm having him keep an eye on you until I know I can trust you."

"So wait a minute, hot stuff, you're having someone keep an eye on me while I'm keeping an eye on someone-" Yunhee began to respond, sarcastically, but couldn't finish her sentence because the stranger was suddenly gone in the blink of an eye.

Like he was never there.

"... And that's how I ended up with this job." Jiah finished, snapping Yun Hee out of a zoned-out state as Leader Choi began clapping loudly, giving a nod of approval before pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose - something he did at least once every hour - while her other two coworkers, Saerom and Jaehwan stroke up a friendly conversation and compliments with the new producer.

The annoying fox was right, and because a fox is bound to a deal until the deed is done, Yunhee had no choice but to do exactly as he said.

He was right, and she hated it.

Although curiosity erupted inside of Yunhee, she could've sworn that she'd seen that face from many centuries back.

Perhaps it was a reincarnated version?

It couldn't be possible, the stranger carried himself the way a mountain god would.

Mountain god.

Why did I just specifically say mountain god?

"Yah! Yunhee, we'll need you to uncover research for Jiah when she returns with Jaehwan from the wedding onslaught crime scene that happened this morning."

"I'll be ready whenever they need me."

TO BE CONTINUED: The Producer, Part II