Lane looked at her book and rubbed the back of her neck, she hadn't really thought about the possibility of not finding a nice gown. The four of them spoke for a while and Lane smiled to herself, it felt natural and nice having a chill conversation. She did always seem to mesh well with Gryffindors, more than her own housemates a lot of the time.

With the ball only a week away now and the girls have picked their dresses, it was all really hitting Lane. She was going to the ball with George Weasley! She could barely contain her excitement and her friends were quick to point out that she looked more chipper than normal. She had been talking to George more often as well which made her heart full. But she didn't expect Cho Chang, a fellow Ravenclaw, to give her a note from the boy in question.

"George asked me to give this to you." She said softly handing over the parchment before walking back to sit with Cedric Diggory at the Hufflepuff table.

Lane took it and felt her stomach sink. Was he canceling? Had he found another date? She'd just given him her color swatch not a day before: what could possibly have changed? However, when she opened the note it wasn't what she dreaded. Instead, it was an invitation.

Meet me in the history hallway at 6 pm tonight.

- G.W.

Lane bit her lip to hide how large her smile was and looked around to see George staring at her from the Gryffindor table. She met his eyes, and he sent her a wink before turning back to his breakfast with a grin. She was falling hard for that boy and she didn't know what to do with herself. She was distracted in nearly all her classes that day anticipating what on earth George had planned -- in the history hallway of all places.

"Miss Mallard-" A cold voice said from behind her in potions and she jumped causing her Flobberworm to fall onto the floor with a splat.

"Yes Professor?" She asked covering the worm with her shoe in hopes Snape wouldn't notice.

However, he did and raised an eyebrow at her. "You seem more distracted than usual in my class, is there something going on I should know about?" He asked curiously.

Ginny who sat next to Lane made a bit of a face. It always was like Snape to stick his big, hooked nose in other people's business.

"No Professor, I'm sorry I haven't been paying as much attention." Lane said stirring the contents of her cauldron.

His lip turned down and he looked in. Despite him trying to reprimand her for not paying attention, the wideye potion was perfect.

"I also wanted to discuss with you some things going missing from my ingredients closet. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that, would you Miss Mallard?"

Lane furrowed her brows. she had no idea what he was talking about, and in reality, it seemed odd he would even ask her because the last time she needed something she merely asked. She wasn't one to steal.

"No sir, I've got no idea." She replied.

He nodded and walked to the next table, but Lane couldn't shake the hurt she felt from his accusation. Everyone knew Snape was a prick, but she'd always felt she had an understanding with the grouchy potions master. The classes that day couldn't have ended any quicker as she hurried out of the dungeons with Ginny and to the Great Hall for dinner.

"Come sit with me," Ginny said before Lane looked at the time.

5:45

She knew she couldn't exactly sneak out of the Great Hall unnoticed, especially if sitting with Ginny, so it was a better option for her to just skip dinner completely to go meet George.

"I've got to go write a letter home telling them I won't be there for the holidays, but I'll catch up with you later." She spoke.

She didn't know why she lied but Ginny just shrugged and went to sit with her friends as Lane left the Great Hall undetected and made her way to the history hallway. It was an unused section of the castle. Only Professor Binns was ever around these parts and lord knew he didn't care about kids nosing around. Lane turned the corner, and it was eerily quiet. She found herself wondering if this had just been a prank until someone opened a classroom door and pulled her into it quickly. She yelped in fear and nearly fell back as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.

"George?" She asked when she saw the ginger smiling at her.

"Didn't mean to give you a fright but I didn't want Filch finding you in the corridor, you know how he is."

Lane chuckled softly and looked around wondering: what did George had planned?