five

jovial » adjective ⇢ cheerful and friendly.

Lane looked around the room and realized it was an old classroom/makeshift trophy room. What on earth did George want to meet her here for?

"Sorry to drag you away from dinner but it's the best time to do this without getting caught." He explained walking over to the side of the room where a muggle record player was sitting.

"What exactly are we doing though?" Lane asked in confusion.

George flicked on the light and a warm yellow glow illuminated the room as he searched the records sat next to the machine. His red hair looking soft and golden against the honey color light filling the room. His side profile was absolutely gorgeous and his concentrated face as he looked for the perfect album was enough to make anyone fall for him.

"I thought we could do a little dance practice before the ball, hopefully, that way we don't look like total uncoordinated fools." He joked and smiled at her as he finally picked a song. "No offense but I can't imagine learning to dance from Flitwick went very well."

Lane giggled softly and set her bag aside.

"You'd be surprised actually." She watched him struggle with the record player and went over to help. Being muggle-born meant she was well versed with technology. "The real issue we had was with the boys not wanting to be anywhere near the girls."

George scoffed and their hands brushed as he handed her the record.

"I swear you'd never guess some of these kids are straight the way they hate women."

Lane couldn't hold back her chuckle at that one and a loud, slightly unflattering, laugh escaped past her lips making her blush. George laughed too and didn't mention the outburst but in reality, he loved it. He was sick of girls acting different around him and it was refreshing to have someone just laugh freely, even if it was a bit of a honk more than a laugh.

"How did you find this room?" Lane asked as she set the volume just right.

"Been forced to clean the trophy's time and time again... and I saw Ginny sneaking out one night and followed her here to catch her and Neville doing a little dance practice." He smirked at the last part. "Thought it might not too bad of an idea."

Lane smiled wide, Ginny loved to dance and the main reason she and Neville were going together is that they'd found out each other's secret love for the art. She admired a couple of trophies on the wall and raised her brows.

"If you cleaned these, you didn't do a very good job." She joked pointing at a stain on an old quidditch plaque making him gasp.

"I'll have you know I cleaned the other side of the room so you've just disrespected Freddie's handiwork." He said as he offered his hand to her and brought her to the middle of the room.

"Don't tell anyone," he said leaning down slightly to her ear as he pulled her close to dance "but I grew up dancing with my mum so I'm actually quite good at it."

She shivered slightly as his warm breath ghosted against her skin and felt her stomach flutter at being so close. The idea of George Weasley being a mummy's boy was one of the cutest things she'd ever heard, and it made her heart swell in size.

"Wish I could say the same, but I'm about as coordinated as a giraffe on skis," Lane replied hesitantly wrapping her arms around his neck as he rested his on her hips respectfully.

"Well, practice makes perfect Laney." He replied looking down at her.

He was the only person who ever called her Laney. Ginny preferred silly nicknames like Larry or other things whereas Fred called her by her last name. It made her blush and look down at their feet as they swayed to the music - Yesterday by The Beatles had just come on.

"My dad would absolutely freak out over one of those things." He nodded to the record player and Lane frowned.

"Why? Like, good freak out or bad?"

George chuckled.

"Good. He loves muggle things but can't for the life of him figure out some of them. Suppose I got that trait from him considering how long it took me to try and figure out how to get the record out of the sleeve."

A laugh passed between them before it was silent again. It was a bit awkward seeing as they didn't know much about each other outside of having Ginny in common.

"How come you never talk about your family?" George asked softly as if not wanting to ruin the peace of the moment.

Lane shrugged. It was a hard question to answer. Sure, she loved them, and they loved her but it went deeper than that. The only reason they seemed to love her was because of blood -- had they not been forced to claim her as their child they would have locked her to the psych ward when she started showing signs of magic.

"They aren't exactly... accepting of magic." She began, she hadn't opened up to anyone about this besides her closest friends, so she was a bit nervous. "They think I'm an absolute looney whenever I mention it. They try to deny it completely and just tell themselves I'm at a regular boarding school."

He frowned, growing up surrounded by magic he never thought of how muggle-born students would have to deal with a situation like showing magic at a young age and what it could mean in the 'normal' world.

"But what about your summer readings? Do they not wonder why the hell your textbook has eyes?" He teased trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm not allowed to bring that home." She chuckled. "Was a bit of a hard explanation my first year but the professors understand now at least."

"That's terrible... Surely mum would let you spend the summer with us. Only if you want of course!" He hastily added the last part.

"Oh, I don't want to intrude," Lane reassured. There were already a lot of kids in the Weasley family and Lane didn't want to cause any more stress for their parents than they already had.

"You wouldn't be. Hermione is spending the summer with us already plus Ginny is mum's favorite so I'm positive she could flutter her lashes and you'd be adopted into the family if you wanted."

Lane rolled her eyes at his comment.

"The difference is Hermione is friends with all of you. I only really know Ginny."

"And me!" He pouted. "You are my date after all."

Lane smiled.

"I guess you're right... I'll think about it okay?"

That seemed to satisfy him because he didn't speak anymore and just pulled her closer after taking one of her hands in his and spinning her around making them both laugh happily. Everything felt easier with George, even dancing which was definitely not one of Lane's strong suits. She just hoped that after the ball they'd still keep in touch because this was definitely a friendship she wanted to keep close. She didn't even mind that she'd missed dinner as they danced late into the night and passed curfew -- thankfully George helped her sneak back to her dorm without Filch catching them.