Lauren sighed, "But she had the time to call Connor and not me!" Lauren insisted, well, she has a point. Though there was nothing wrong with what Jane did, she just felt like calling Connor instead of her mom. Calling me was really out of the question, as she didn't know I was actually arriving.

"Mom! God, was it important who called who? I was in panic and it was Connor whom I thought first because he's a doctor, for God's sake!" Jane burst out as she yanked her hand away from me and ran a frustrated hand to her now messy hair. She sank on the couch and buried her face on her palms and a sob broke from her. I was on her side by an instant and I rubbed her back reassuringly, how long do I have to see her breaking like this? I knew she was suffering and was worried sick for our daughter, but so was I, so was her mom.

Lauren sat beside her too and I stopped rubbing her back, giving her mom the space to hug her. She needed that. "I'm sorry Hun, it's just that I'm so scared when I received the call and was a bit hurt that you didn't even call me." She said in a resigned voice. I started to feel a little out of place so I made a move to stand up; Jane looked at me with tears still cascading down her cheek.

"Where are you going?" She asked, with the same manner as a child afraid to be left behind by her mother in a shopping day. It tugged my heart uncomfortably.

I caressed her face, "I'll just give my mom a ring, and she must be worried sick. I'll break the news to them too." She nodded her head; I gave Lauren a small smile then went out of the room.

It was when I was outside that I realized I felt like suffocating from the emotions I was feeling. I dragged a long breath, filling my lungs with air but the heavy feeling inside my chest wasn't even dulled for a little. With a sigh, I pulled out my phone from my pocket and opened it. There were at least seven messages from mom and three from dad, all nagging me about what time exactly was I arriving home.

I dialled mom's number and it rang once before she answered, "Nathaniel Hughes! How dare you ignore me and you even dared to shut your mobile phone!" Mom fired at once and I slumped on the wall, here comes the inevitable.

"Sorry, mom." I mumbled and I started working on my temples again, another headache was coming up.

"Where are you, are you still coming tonight?" She asked exasperated. I started walking down the hall until I arrived on a waiting lounge with chairs lined up neatly and a television on the wall. 'Doctor Who' was flashing on the screen with a very soft volume that I couldn't even make out what they were saying. I sat alone on the chair and listened to my mom's another verse of nagging.

"Mom." I interrupted midway her litany about being married and the bliss of settling down with the girl I love (that was probably Jane). "I'm in the hospital, okay? Stop nagging." Silence.

"Still there?" I asked, if this was on another occasion, and if it wasn't my daughter who was in the hospital I would have laughed.

She gasped, "God, Nate, what happened to you? Are you okay? What hospital? Answer me!" She gushed and a small smile crept in my face as an amusing thought entered my mind. She was just like Lauren when she talks like this.

"Here at Clayton." The smile fell from my face as I remembered why I was here again. "Nathalie was brought here." I choked. I told her the pre-diagnosis of the doctor and I received another stifled gasp from her, she must be trembling right now.

She told me that they would be coming here first thing in the morning and I had to agree. I didn’t have a choice. A cup of espresso entered my vision and I looked up to see Jane giving it to me. I took it and mouthed her thank you. “I have to go mom, see you tom.” I said and hung up.