I gave her a pleading look and she leaned in beside Evelyn's ear, whispering something. Evelyn nodded in understanding before starting to eat. 

'Thank you' I mouthed to Caroline. 

She nodded in response and then everyone ate in silence. 

"Evelyn," my mom cleared her throat. 

Everyone turned to my mother. 

"So, are you excited to be a possible bride to the prince?" she asked. 

Evelyn glanced at me. "Um, actually-" 

"I asked her. She didn't offer herself up for marriage," I butt in. 

My mom looked at me, extremely surprised. 

"Mr. Albert suggested we speak to Evelyn. She is very adored by the people of Zariya," my dad said, shooting her a smile. 

She smiled back softly in response, poking at her food. 

"Are you willing to be the princess and later the queen, Evelyn? Do you think you're prepared?" my mother asked. 

"Are any of us?" Caroline laughed. 

"I don't think so," Mila shook her head, smiling. 

Evelyn looked down at her food, smiling. At least not all the girls here are going to give her a hard time, but I bet I know the ones that will. 

"I just have one question for you, Evelyn," Chloe cleared her throat. 

I let out a small, agitated sigh. I just know she's going to be the one to make this harder than it has to be. 

"Yes?" Evelyn replied. 

"How exactly are you planning to become a royal? I mean... you're not a royal," Chloe laughed. "You don't know about the etiquettes," she shrugged. Clearly, neither does she. Because royals are not taught to be disrespectful. 

Evelyn nodded slowly but I could see her getting a little annoyed with Chloe's remark. Who wouldn't? 

"I agree, I don't know about the etiquettes," Evelyn nodded. 

I watched her carefully, waiting for her next words. 

"But I do know how to be respectful." 

Chloe glared at her, picking at her food. Evelyn stifled a laugh and turned her attention to her food, eating it slowly. She fidgeted with her earring once she finished eating but it's considered rude to leave the table until everyone else has finished. It's not just a royal thing, it's how everyone in Zariya is raised. 

She leaned back in her seat, talking to Caroline while smiling. Caroline asked her something, I wasn't paying attention to their words, and she nodded eagerly, talking with her hands, waving them around, and then running her hand through her hair before flipping it over her shoulder. 

Mila, who was sitting beside me, gently elbowed my elbow and I turned to her. "You make it very obvious," she whispered. 

"Excuse me?" I asked, confused. 

"You like her, don't you? Evelyn." She looked at me knowingly. 

"I don't know her any more than I know you and the other princesses," I shrugged, dodging the question. 

"Maybe. But you like her. There's a pull." 

"A pull?" 

"Between the two of you. Like a magnet." 

"Really? Then are we the same end of two magnets? Because there's no pulling happening here. Just pushing," I said, turning to her, pushing my empty plate away. 

"I'd say there's a little pulling considering she's staring," she whispered, narrowing her eyes at me. "Don't look now," she added. 

I counted five seconds in my head before looking over. Probably not long enough. But she was staring. Caroline was still talking to her but her focus was on me. And Mila. 

Oh right. She doesn't know Mila's the one who has a boyfriend already. Not just her, nobody does. 

I raised an eyebrow at her quizzically and she gently shook her head, turning back to Caroline, her smile smaller this time. When everyone had finished eating, we all got up and split up. The girls went to their rooms to get ready, god knows for what, my parents went somewhere else and Evelyn stood there in confusion. 

"Yes?" I asked, rounding around the table and going to her. 

"I don't know which way the guest room is," she stated. 

"I'll take you," I smirked. 

"You can't just point the way?" she asked, walking beside me nonetheless. 

"With your ex-boyfriend running around?" I whispered. "No." 

She glared at me while we made it upstairs. My room was tucked away in the corner and the guest room she's staying in is right across from mine. 

"This is your room," I said, pointing to it. "And this is mine." 

"Why would I need to know where your room is? And why are you making me stay in this particular room?" 

"You need to know where my room is because I'm responsible for you here and you are staying here because, need I remind you, Lucas works here." 

"So?" 

"So, I hear you're avoiding him." 

She looked at me blankly. "Did you have someone spy on me?" she asked accusingly. 

"Maybe. But from what I know, you were supposed to go see him last night. And you didn't. And he isn't very happy. So two words of advice... steer clear." 

"And if I don't?" She folded her arms across her chest. 

"Then don't, your choice. Cheater or..." I trailed off with a shrug, opening her door for her. 

"Not cheater," she mumbled, walking past me and into the room. She looked around and then sat on the edge of her bed. 

"Lunch is at one. Until then, feel free to roam around and spend your time with whom you like," I shrugged. I turned to leave, pulling the door shut behind me. 

"Archer." 

I stopped, sticking my head back in. 

"Can we talk?"

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 12

finish it:

going out tonight changes into something red

next chapter: seek