"Hi," I returned, expending all of my effort to rein in my ear to ear smile.

"Easy for you to say," Niall replied. "You're not the one who has to stand out there and dispense it."

"No, but I'm the one who has to drink it. Come on. Let's take 'em out."

I stood aside as Zayn and Niall picked up a keg off the counter and opened the sliding door to the back for them. With Niall squealing like a schoolgirl over the icy temperature in his no sleeves, no shoes ensemble, they managed to walk it to a patio table with only a few grunts. Niall insisted on putting on a few more layers of clothing before lugging out the other two kegs, and by the time he was changed into a more appropriate outfit, Liam was home.

Zayn took this as an opportunity to escape from the heavy lifting, but just before we left the kitchen together, Niall called him back. Together, all three boys got the remaining two kegs into the backyard. For the next twenty minutes, Niall agonized over the best way to tap the kegs and charge admission.

I started to suspect that he was being a prat on purpose, because just like that, the hour was up and guests started to arrive – and I'd spent no quality alone time with Zayn whatsoever.

*

I was rather pleased with myself for getting both Harry and Macy to show up to Niall's kegger. All they'd done so far was exchange polite greetings before moving on to socialize with others (Harry with Zayn, Macy with a friend of her roommate's), but Liam appeared uncomfortable enough simply being in the same room as Macy. I didn't yet see the need to introduce another man into the equation to really stir up his concealed emotions.

But there was someone else who made an appearance and paid her fee, and as soon as I realized it, it was my blood that was boiling. I would have recognized those long legs and that voluptuous ass anywhere. I didn't have to, however – they found me first.

Niall, bundled in a warm jumper and scarf, with the hood of his jumper pulled over top his snapback, had just topped up my red solo cup from the keg in the yard. After taking a gulp of cold beer and having him top me up once again, I spun around to retreat to the warmth of the house.

I did not anticipate coming face to face with Lola.

"June!" she exclaimed, gracing me with a broad smile. "I thought it was you, but couldn't be sure from the back. How are you?"

Baffled, it took me a moment to snap to my senses. "I... fine," I breathed, entirely bewildered.

Hadn't she and Zayn split up? Hadn't Zayn personally invited me to this gathering? More importantly, had he invited her? And if so, why? Did he want to get back together? Was he trying to make me jealous?

"It's good to see you," she continued. "How was your Christmas?"

"Fine," I repeated absently, standing motionless as she handed her cup to Niall to be refilled.

"Thanks for the invite, Niall," she said, cheery beyond comprehension. "It's nice to come around again."

A quiet, but shocked gasp flew from my mouth. Teeth grinding, I slowly turned my head to Niall, widening my eyes in fury as I plotted his gruesome death. Niall invited her?! Whatever string of patience I'd had for his games had snapped like a twig.

Purposely ignoring me, he shrugged as he returned the refilled cup to Lola. "No worries.

How are your classes this term?"

I could have killed him. As Lola responded with an indepth summary of each course she was taking, I knew that I could have reached out and strangled Niall Horan with my bare hands. I knew then, beyond a doubt, that he was up to something. Whatever it was, it was obvious that we had conflicting interests.