writing the future

Start from the beginning

'Yeah, same here.' You settled against him, resting your head on his shoulder. 'Jessika is working really hard to get those new pilots trained.'

'I would do it myself, but my presence is required in a million and one locations.' Poe sighed. 'I did find something interesting today though.'

'Yeah?'

'Yeah.' He grinned at you. 'Buddy, come here!'

There was a slight clattering sound from inside the apartment - he'd probably been going through the garbage again - and a second later, BB-8 rolled out onto the balcony. He was beeping and chirping as he came up to you, almost like a dog excited to see his owner after a long day. Actually, it was exactly like a dog excited to see his owner after a long day.

'Show Y/N what we found.'

The little droid beeped back in response, illuminating a holopicture onto the blank wall beside you. It took a minute for you to work out what it was; a scribbled mess of your handwriting and Poe's. It was a bullet point list titled Poe and Y/N Dameron's List Of Things To Do When We Kick The First Order's Ass.

Get married, have kids, move to Yavin, try that sushi bar that Snap won't shut up about, successfully put together our own bedroom furniture.

You hadn't seen it in at least a year, but you knew exactly what it was. Back in the height of the war, you and Poe had made a list of things you'd wanted to do once everything was over. At the time, it had been a fantasy; a void dream to look forward to on the low chance that the scales tipped in your favour. You'd never imagined a world where you'd be able to look back at it and actually consider doing half the things you promised you would.

'Oh my.' You murmured, tearfully smiling. 'I completely forgot about that.'

When the war had become your priority, the list had completely slipped your mind. It had fallen to the back of your memory - the part where you know it's there, but it takes a very specific prompt to be reminded of it. Whilst everything now felt like a dream, a lot of the war had comparably been a nightmare. You'd tried to shut away the bad parts, but they took some of the good parts down with it too. There were lots of little memories with Poe sprinkled in there; tiny moments that had seemed so terrible amongst the backdrop of everything at the time, but now things you would hold onto for the rest of your life.

'We have done some of it.' Poe said. He intertwined his fingers with yours, thumb ghosting over Shara Bey's band that sat on your ring finger. 'We're getting married next Spring and then you will officially be a Dameron.'

'According to this list, I already was.' You replied.

'You've always been a Dameron.' He nodded. 'No doubt about it.'

'And we did put our bedroom furniture together!' You cheered. 'Even if the bed fell apart a week later.'

'Because you forgot to put in the screws-'

'- it still counts!' You exclaimed. 'And...the sushi bar.'

A bittersweet tone fell over the two of you as you remembered Snap. He'd been one of your best friends, and there were still days when you didn't realise he'd gone. His legacy hadn't been forgotten, though: Kare had set up a flight school in his name, and his picture was hanging up in a thousand different places. He was between Luke and Leia on the mantle of your fire place, and Poe kept a picture of him in his wallet next to one of you.

'Promise me one thing?' You began.

Poe squeezed your hand. 'Anything.'

'When we achieve the kids part of this list, can we name one of them after Snap?'

'I love that.' He gave you a soft smile. 'Let's move to Yavin too.'

'But work-'

'- not now.' He shook his head. 'In a few years. Three, maybe five - whenever we want to settle down.'

'We can be near your dad.' You said. 'And your mum, in a way.'

'Exactly.' Poe pressed a kiss to your temple. 'With our five children: Snap, Leia, Han, Luke and PJ.'

'PJ?'

'Poe Junior.' He grinned.

'That's cu - wait, five?!' You turned around to face him. 'How about we start with one and see how it goes?'

'Fine.' He leant down to kiss you again, this time on your lips. No matter how many years you'd been together, or how many times it happened, you were always surprised by how amazing his kisses were.

That was the first time you started to see through the fog of the war. It was when the realisation had truly set in: you'd won. You'd risked everything and you'd won. You'd won for the people you'd lost, you'd won for the people you'd fought with and you'd won for the future generations. For your own children; little people who were going to be half you and half Poe. Leia had always joked that the galaxy was never going to be ready for a combination of the two of you. It had been something about your stubbornness and Poe's mischief.

'I didn't think we'd get to do any of that when we wrote that list.' Poe quietly admitted from beside you. 'It was just...dreams, you know?'

'I know.' You replied. 'I was scared to let myself imagine a world where it actually came true because I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment.'

'Didn't want to set yourself up for disappointment and yet you chose to marry me.' Poe joked.

'I like our little life.' You said. 'I mean...we're both leading generals in the Resistance so it's not really little, but I still like it. It's something I'd never thought I'd have.'

'You know it's okay to be happy, right?' He asked. 'You don't have to be scared to enjoy what we have, or worry that it'll be taken away. We fought long and hard to make sure that doesn't happen.'

'I know. I get that.' You replied. 'I'm working towards it.'

'Good.' He pressed another kiss to your cheek. 'Besides, if anyone did try to come near us and hurt you, you can bet your ass that I would single-handedly drop kick them into the outer rim.'

'I'd do the same for you, without a doubt.' You nodded. 'Man, our kids are gonna be bad-ass.'

'Poe Temmin Skywalker Dameron will be unstoppable.'

'We might have to rethink this name thing.'