the one where he makes everything better

Start from the beginning

Poe was still staring at the door that you'd stumbled out of a few minutes earlier. 'Yeah, maybe you're right.'

A few hours later, and after Poe had taken his lunch break, he went wandering off to find you. It was a slow few days for him, finally; he'd done his paperwork, briefed his team on their upcoming mission and cleaned his droid. BB-8 had rolled off to show Leia his shiny new antenna, leaving his master to wander the base to hunt you down.

Poe turned the corner, letting out an oof! when you collided with his chest. The lopsided grin that you loved so much suddenly appeared on his features, but it quickly fell when he saw your startled expression. It took you a few exhausted seconds to even process that it was him.

'What's wrong?'

'I-' you began, stopping when a choked sob escaped your lips.

You were good at holding things in. You'd learnt to compress your feelings and be professional, but it was like the dam had finally broken. The last few days had caught up with you and they were beating the shit out of you.

'Hey, hey, hey. take a deep breath.' He pulled you tightly into his chest, arms automatically finding their way around your waist as he held you tightly. 'I got you, it's okay.'

'I know,' your voice was slightly muted by his shirt.

'C'mon,' Poe picked you up, carrying you a few doors down to your quarters.

He knew your passcode; punching in 2187, he kicked open the door, carrying you inside. He gently placed you on the kitchen counter, taking your face in his hands. He wiped away some of your tears with his calloused thumbs, holding your gaze in his warm eyes as he gently stroked your cheeks. It broke him seeing you like this.

'Talk to me?' He quietly asked.

'It's stupid.'

'Your feelings aren't stupid, baby.' Poe chuckled gently, pressing a kiss to your forehead.

'It's-' you began, letting out a huff. 'It's everything. The stress of the war got to me and I wasn't sleeping so I thought taking on more work would help.'

'Let me guess - it didn't?'

You moved your hands from his shoulders, gently massaging them through his soft hair. You weren't sure if you'd ever be over Poe; you'd never been one to believe in soulmates, but sometimes he was the only thing that kept you sane.

'It didn't,' you confirmed. 'I was just sad. Now I'm tired and sad.'

'You're the only person I know who would try to distract themselves from work with more work,' He smiled sweetly at you. 'It's because you care so much, maybe too much. You're constantly running around after me and Rey and Finn and Snap - but you're forgetting about the most important person.'

You sniffed, scrunching up your nose. 'You mean Leia?'

'No, you dummy.' Poe buried his face in your shoulder, shaking his head. 'I mean you. You need to look after yourself.'

'I'm trying. I just have a lot of meetings-'

'- that's a ridiculous excuse,' his breath tickled your shoulder as he sighed. 'I guess I'll have to do it for you.'

He took your hand, leading you from the counter and towards your dresser. Poe rifled around for a few minutes, eventually pulling out a familiar shirt. It was one of his old button ups; it was about five sizes too big for you, but he couldn't deny that you wearing his shirt was one of his favourite things.

'How long have you had this?' He chuckled, helping you unbutton your work shirt.

'That one? I stole it the first time we slept together,' you could feel yourself blushing.

Shimmying out of your jeans, you took a few steps towards the bed and collapsed into it. You didn't even bother getting under the blankets - instead, you smashed your face into the pillow and let out a long groan. Catharsis.

Poe lifted up the duvet and pulled it over you, sliding underneath it beside you. He rolled over to face you; despite your tear-stained cheeks and glassy eyes, you were smiling at him. It was one of the first things he'd noticed when you first met - and since then, the sight of you smiling or laughing took the air from his lungs. You were so beautiful.

It sometimes felt like you'd come out of no-where. One day he was on his own, and the next you were with your terrible jokes and gorgeous face and he was a goner. He played the part of bad-ass pilot and whilst he very much was, he would do anything for you. He was waiting for the right moment, but he knew you were the right person to wear the ring he always had around on a chain around his neck.

'Thank you,' you murmured quietly, intertwining your fingers with his and placing a kiss on his hand, 'I'm lucky I have you to look after me.'

'I should be thanking you.' Poe replied.

'For what?'

'For everything.'