(Chapter 2)

Mulai dari awal

“Blane?” I said, putting down my paintbrush. “Do you want to go out with me sometime?”

***

9.30PM Saturday, Nov. 30th ,

Some street near 1395 Lexington Avenue, New York

*Finding Mr. Right Now*

That was pretty easy.

I had a date with Blane tomorrow. It was just a dinner, but it seemed like a good start to my senior project. In my actual project, I don’t want to use his name, and so I decided his code name will be “Mr. Right”. It felt kind of cool –like being a secret agent. Or so I imagine.

I ran all the way home, hyper and crazy, tripping on the ice and falling on innocent pedestrians three times. But I didn’t care. I was happy. My first date. Ever.

I pulled open my phone, about to call Oscar and tell him the good news. It was pretty late, but whatever. I went to call log, and picked the first name that was there. I pressed call, and almost a second later, he picked up.

“Summer?”

“Hey, Oscar, I’ve got something to tell y –”

“You damn son of a bitch!” a guy screamed. Whoa.

It was a street fight. Five against one.

“How was it my fault?” The guy being attacked. He was talking back.

He stood in the middle of the circle, turning so he could show his smirk to all of them.

“It’s not my fault you couldn’t keep your girlfriend on a shorter leash,” he said, flashing a million-watt smile at the ring-leader. “You can’t blame her for falling for me. It’s your fault.”

I bit my lip, and turned away, pressing the button, and waited for the little green man to flash up. I didn’t want to see this. I hated blood. Blood made me want to faint.

“Bastard!” the ring-leader screamed, running towards him, a broken bottle in his hand. His gang followed his lead.

Come on, green man! I need to cross this road! I don’t want to watch a (semi) innocent guy get beaten up! I pressed the button again, harder this time. Why isn’t the green man flashing?!

“Summer?!” my phone said. Oscar was still there. I was too scared to answer, scared they would notice me.

“Wait,” the semi-innocent guy said, lifting one hand up. My head spun back to him, despite myself. The gang stopped.

“I have just one more thing to say,” the guy said, to the gang.

“Go on then, and make it good. It’ll be the last thing you ever say.”

“I’m giving you one last chance. Apologize to me, and I’ll let you five leave, unharmed.”

The leader stared at him for a second, and all five of them collapsed in laughter.

“This is…you being merciful to us?”

“That’s right,” the guy said, smirking again. Now that I see him…he’s kind of hot. He had messy ash-blond hair, grey-green eyes, and a nice face. He turned his head, and streetlight shone on his face. One of ears was glittered – it was pierced. But the thing that made my heart pump was his smile. It was so…dangerously seductive. “This is me, being friendly, and giving you guys a chance. You gonna take it?”

The ring-leader spat into the snow.

“Damn you.”

“I didn’t think you would,” the guy with the cute smile sighed. “They never do.”