Arya continued to walk aimlessly, overwhelmed by her emotions, until she decided to stop. She opened one of the many doors that overlooked the corridor where she had found herself and entered. She must have reached the royal apartments, she thought, noting the massive four-poster bed in the center of the left wall of the room, covered with a blanket of a rich night blue fabric, with gold embroidered edges and the Durin coat of arms in the center. On the opposite side stood a huge carved stone closet. The skill of the dwarves was really incredible, she told herself, observing the runes engraved with precision on the doors, flanked by gems and precious stones. Arya did not know how long she had been enchanted in front of that work of art, probably quite enough, because all of sudden the door behind her opened wide making her jump.

"I found her! Fili, Bilbo, I found her!"

Kili shouted, with one hand still leaning against the jamb.

"Kili..."

The woman murmured, turning around.

"You! Do you have any idea how long we've been running in this endless maze in search of you?! We'll have opened at least a hundred doors! We were worried sick, we couldn't find you anywhere anymore!"

The dwarf exclaimed, before running to embrace her, lifting her from the ground. The girl laughed slightly, returning her friend's hold.

"Arya..."

Fili breathed a sight of relief, entering the room and taking his brother's place. The woman relaxed in the arms of her beloved, then raised her eyes and saw Bilbo smile at her.

"I didn't want to alarm you. I just needed a moment alone."

She then apologised, stepping away from the blond.

"A moment? You've been gone for hours!"

Kili joked, getting a nasty look from his brother and the halfling. Arya, instead, looked at him confused.

"I didn't think I'd been gone that long, I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologise, it's understandable. Thorin has been quite intractable lately, you needed to relieve the tension."

The hobbit gently replied.

"Come on Kili, I think Arya's in good hands now."

He continued, turning to the young dwarf who, sensing his friend's intentions, nodded.

"We'll see you in the morning."

The hobbit ended, addressing the girl and Fili, at her side, who smiled.

"And try to get some sleep, among the other things, okay? At least a few hours!"

Kili told them, chuckling, before rushing out followed by Bilbo.

"I swear, one of these days I'll make you regret being born so impertinent!"

His brother yelled at him, while Arya laughed. Fili moved forward to close the door, then turned to look at the girl, who had now gone back to staring at the closet with a gloomy expression and glassy eyes.

"Arya, talk to me, tell me what you think."

The dwarf gently murmured, approaching her.

"I'm scared, Fili. I'm scared of what lies ahead. Thorin wants to start a war with the elves over a stupid treasure and is blinded by madness to see that the true enemy is another."

She finally bursted out, turning to look at him.

"You mean the necromancer Radagast was talking about?"