"You have a case full of blood." I realize, staring at the bags, "If this is from who I think it is... You want to make more hybrids?"

Unsurprisingly, he begins defending himself instantly, "For our family's protection. With white oak still in existence—"

I interrupt him, "I understand your reasoning, Klaus, I just don't like your tactics. And I think you underestimate how powerful your family already is without these... creations."

As if on cue, the newly laid logs split in the fire which causes a mini uproar from the flames. Klaus looks to it, his face riddled with argument.

"I know that you understand what it feels like to lose someone you care for," he whispers. When his eyes meet mine again, I feel a slightly wave of emotion hit me when I recognize the pain on his face. "Just the mere idea of losing you again... it haunts me more than you will ever know."

The memory of me getting magically stabbed in the Mystic Falls town square plays behind my eyes. He lost himself in his own thoughts that night, and I remember it in a frightening light.

"I guess I understand," I say under my breath.

He looks at the floor. For a moment, I think he must be composing himself as he doesn't say anything, but when Rebekah enters the room, I realize that he must have been preparing for that argument instead.

"How dare you save Caroline over me!"

Klaus immediately rolls his eyes and moves to stand behind me, "Hello brother. Thought you were dead. So pleased you're not!"

Klaus's hands find their way onto my shoulders and I feel him push me slightly forward. The sudden barrier that I have become between them is relatively obvious and a bit comical.

"You left me!" Rebekah screams, "You both did, actually!"

"I only had time to save one of you and you can't be killed," he replies defensively. "Rest assured, I had a worse day than you. I think it's time for us to move on; find some more werewolves."

Rebekah does not like this news whatsoever, and I definitely don't need Adalynn's power to alert me of that, "So you can create your hybrid family? You don't know anything about family!"

He pushes me aside rather forcefully, "Well, I know how easily they can be silenced with a dagger."

"That's enough!" I yell and they both look at me. "Klaus, don't ever let me hear those words come out of your mouth in my presence again!"

"She—"

"She is right about a lot of things. You both are," I fume, pushing his hand away when he reaches towards me. "We both mourned you, Nik. I don't think you understand how real it was."

"Well, it's obviously not bloody true—"

I silence him with a look.

"We were just talking about that pain. I know you understand it. Give her a freaking break."

"Thank you, Claramay," Rebekah says, gesturing to me. "Finally, we're on the same page."

Klaus looks between us, infuriated, "Consider me in a whole other chapter then. Clara and I are leaving to make more hybrids and to begin a new life together. Whether you join us is up to me and the dagger."

My reaction, though slightly unsurprised, results in an exaggerated huff. Rebekah, on the other hand, flashes out of my direct line of sight and reappears with two of the stashed blood bags in her hands. In the same moment, there's a hard thud and splat sound behind me and I turn to see the remains of the rest of the bags that she threw at the wall.