Bittersweet Love Story About A Girl

Sunlight streamed through my window as my alarm clock beeped in that particularly awful pitch that made me cringe every single day. As I rolled over to get out of bed, I caught myself staring awkwardly out the window, thinking about Luke and how he snuck in here last night. That was surprising, but well, really amazing too. 

Absentmindedly touching my lips where I was kissed yesterday after the Orpheum show, I floated all the way to the bathroom to shower and get ready for school. As for Carlos and keeping my little secret about the boys, I was so relieved that he agreed to keep it quiet for now. I was still processing it all myself, and explaining the foggy ghost logic to my dad was the last thing I needed to worry about. 

Drying off and pulling on some jeans and my favorite color-blocked zip-up, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs for breakfast. 

"Morning Julie. Eat fast so you're not late." Dad smiled at me, placing some scrambled eggs, toast, and juice on the table in front of me. Carlos wandered downstairs too, but he was thankfully still half-asleep and therefore, too zonked to interrogate me. 

From my vantage point while I quickly ate, I could see the guys hanging out around the garage, and hoped that Dad didn't see them yet. Without wanting to chance him noticing them while I was at school, I took a chance.

"Hey Dad? So uh, I meant to tell you - my band is actually in town, they surprised me last night after the Orpheum show."

"Really? That's awesome. So I can finally  meet these boys who brought my little girl back to me?" His eyes lit up in that adorable way that dads always did. I wanted to say yes, but didn't want to promise anything until I knew if other people could even see them at all. 

"Uh, possibly! Let me see what their schedules are today and I'll let you know. But if you see me hanging out with them, you'll know why. We might be in Mom's studio later on." Or this morning. But once again, need-to-know basis. 

"Works for me. Have a great day!" He patted me on the shoulder and then high-tailed it to his home office while answering a call on his cellphone. This time, it was in plain sight on the counter where it belonged. 

After finishing my eggs, I checked the time on the wall, and decided ran to the garage to tell the guys what the updated plan was. Couldn't risk them being seen without me there to smooth things over - especially Reggie. He's been around my dad quite a bit lately, even without being visible. So this could be, well, really emotional for him. 

Before I could do that though, the front door rang. I opened it to see Nick there, offering me some flowers. He seemed a little off, but maybe it was just nerves. It was still super sweet of him to think of me. It was probably congratulations for the Orpheum gig, since I clearly told him I liked someone else (aka, Luke). 

After thanking Nick for the flowers, and finding a vase to put them in, I dropped my plates in the sink and headed to the studio with my heavy backpack on. I was out of breath by the time I got to the door.

"Hey guys! We gotta talk real quick."

"Morning Julie!" Alex waved at me from behind his drums, polishing the cymbals or something. "Willie was thrilled that we're still here, by the way. I'm relieved too, honestly."

"Well duh, of course he's relieved. He's got such a thing for Willie." Luke teased from his spot on the couch, fiddling with the acoustic guitar he kept just behind it. Then his eyes found mine, and he had the most shy little smile spread over his perfect face. 

I coughed, trying to dissipate the slightly awkward moment.

"Aw, I see chemistry!" Reggie winked at me, and Luke threw a pillow at him while I pretended to rub some dust out of my eye.