"Do you really want to go with him instead?"

I want to say no. No. No. Never. But I couldn't deal with Aron's sternness. I couldn't even look at him and not think about what he will say if I was the blood of his enemy. "You must be exhausted from the pressure. I don't want to distract you from your work."

"Send me a message when you get home." His tone so defeated as if he lost the most important battle of his life.

I nod but he couldn't see me. I tried to speak but my throat clogged up with the sobs that want to escape. We never had this uncomfortable silence between us. Never. We stayed on the phone a little longer. No words. Just the sound of our breathing in rhythm, communicating with each other. Trying to tell things we couldn't tell each other in words. A cry threatens to escape and I cut the phone just in time before I clamp my hand to my mouth to stifle the sobs.

The ride home was filled with Danny talking about his long-lost uncle who he still couldn't find even though he was a qualified investigator. I just nod and comment whenever necessary; half listening to him and half think about Aron.

"Can I pick you up in the morning as well? Danny asks just as we reach my building.

Nope. If he picks me up in the morning, I will have to listen to the story of grandfather's mysterious cow which he told me he will tell me later on. I try to think of another reason to deny the offer. "I have different plans for the morning. Thank you for the ride home." I open the door and step out.

"It was my pleasure."

Danny waits till I enter my building and then speeds away.

As soon as I enter my house, I send a text to Aron saying that I reached home. His reply comes a second later: 'I hope you enjoyed your ride.'

I don't reply back and start my night routine. After the shower and the ritual of face creams I wear my sweatpants and a comfy tee and fall under the comforters.

When sleepiness finally hits my system, I wake up by my horrific nightmare. My headache worsening every second passing. I lie awake in my bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking.

After a while I look at my bedside clock which reads 4:05 AM. I get up and start getting ready for the day three hours early.

I skip my make up for today and only a layer of moisturizer and a lip gloss. I wear the first thing that I find in my closet. A grey polo neck sweater, black jeans and a black coat. I skip breakfast because I don't think my stomach will be able to digest the food because of the anxiety, however, I take a to-go cup and fill it with steaming coffee with milk and sugar.

I exit the building and the icy wind hits me. It hadn't snowed in two days so all the snow on the streets was mixed with dirt. There are three black SUV cars parked right outside my building. All the windows are tinted. The cars look like triplets. Ha ha. I walk a mile and down the steep road which leads to the abandoned park now covered in trees. I walk about the park. The low purr of the engine still behind me since the moment I left home. I take a quick glance and see the three black SUVs a couple of blocks behind me, driving too slowly than the normal speed limit. I ignore it and see the sun rising over the horizon and creating shadows of everything. I walk a few more blocks when my phone starts to ring. I fish it out of my pockets and read the caller's name. Aron. Why is he calling me so early? I still have an hour left before he picks me up.

I hesitate and pick up the phone. "Yes?"

"Why aren't you home?" His voice low and gruffy and I also hear the car's engine.

"How do you know?"

"I called your landline and I can hear the birds chirping in the background. And as much as I can remember you don't like birds. So, where are you?"