xxii. airport security

Start from the beginning

i had my eyes glued onto the texan as he jolted up from his seat in an attempt to fix his posture. "you really think so?" he beamed back with widened eyes. analyzing his jittery expression, nick looked like a grade school child that stepped foot into a candy store; he looked so bright-eyed while waiting for my response.

"i know so," i simply retorted back with a wink.

once nick eased his tense body, he suddenly let his shoulders loose to my news. while the american slouched back into the metal starbucks chair out of relief, we both heard a chiming erupt from the coffee table. as nick and i glanced down to where the ringing was coming from, i saw my phone reverberate next to nick's coffee cup. nick was closer to my phone than i was, so he carefully picked up my device before reading what was plastered on my screen.

"who is it? clay?" i casually inquired while i held out my hand. i heavily assumed the caller was clay, probably to inform nick and i that his flight has finally landed and that he was on his way.

"uhm... n- no. it's not dream," nick spat with a hushed tone.

i furrowed my eyebrows in confusion while my heart picked up its pace, the texan looked like he had just saw a ghost. nick appeared paler than usual with his eyes widened as he reached over the coffee table to hand me my phone. i took my phone out of hesitation because of how weird nick was acting. in an instant, i turned my device toward me so that the screen was facing upwards. as i felt the phone vibrate against my palm, i read the name that was plastered against the bright screen.

georgie<33 is calling...

i felt my heart leap out of my chest after reading his name, george was awake? after immediately reading his contact, my eyes scanned the clock that was on the upper right corner of my phone [6:12AM]. why was george awake this early? wait- forget why he's awake, he knows you aren't home! what do i say?

i sat at the starbucks table in shocked, i needed to come up with an alibi here and now. as my mind began to race with anxiety, nick interrupted my thoughts, "well pick it up, stupid!" he snapped.

i didn't hesitate to perform his orders. before my phone could stop ringing, i quickly hovered my phone over the green, "answer" button. "hi love!" i chirped through the line. i tried to sound as normal and casual as possible, even though i had one of his best friends staring at me with fright from across the table.

"love... you aren't here. are you okay? where are you?" george extolled through the phone speakers.

my boyfriend's voice was raspy and quiet, yet it seemed rushed and filled with a worry. i could hear the panic in his tone, that's where a rush of guilt fell over my entire being. i felt bad for leaving him by himself this morning, beholding the sight of my absence first thing in the daylight without warning was probably unsettling. but as i began thinking of an anxious george back home, i saw nick mouth words to me. "say something!" the texan mouthed out, with no sound coming out of him so that he didn't blow his cover.

"y- yeah! no, i- i'm okay! i actually just went to the shop to get ingredients for, uh- flapjacks! yeah flapjacks! i- i didn't want to wake you at this hour... since i knew you wouldn't want to leave with me this early," i stammered. i was such a bad liar, but i simply hoped that it didn't show through the phone call.

"oh, alright. stay warm, okay? and come home soon, the bed simply feels empty without you. i'm going back to sleep. i love you, angel," george orated softly. my boyfriend's tone shifted from worrisome to hushed, i assumed that his morning grogginess got the best of him.