Drowned

"200," the lady pushes the three necklaces back

"200," the lady pushes the three necklaces back. "For all three."

"What? No, we both know they are worth more," I argue.

"Where did you even get such things anyway?" the pawn lady looks me up and down. Taking in my canvas green jacket and ripped jeans.

"My father," I let some tears well up. "My mother just died and we are moving cross country."

"Oh poor dear," her eyes soften and I hold back the smirk, I got her.

"These were hers and dad wanted me to sell them for money. We aren't very rich, but mother always kept her jewels sparkling."

"I'll give you 400, but that's as high as I can go." A man walks in and I feel an unusual sensation. My wolf perks up but I push her down.

"That would be great," I wipe the showstopping tear and she walks off with the necklaces.

The man stood at the counter not far from me. His eyes taking short glances at me. "Who should the check be for?"

"Callie Williams."

"Is that with a Y or and IE?"

"Two Ls and an IE."

"I'll be with you in a moment sir," she calls back to the man and I tap my fingers on the glass.

I take one false move, I look at the man. Our eyes meet and for a second and time stops. My gaze drops down again and when the woman hands me my check I dart out of the shop. I all but run back to the hotel, my stomach tight from the encounter.

The man was an Alpha, the same Alpha walking the streets last night. Once I'm in the room I lock and bolt the door. Yeah, like that will keep out an Alpha. I say to myself. How stupid of me to look? Always keep your head down. Avoid eyes and cameras. Those are the first rules. The first rules!

He's seen me, twice. I'm not safe. My lung constricts and my wolf becomes on edge. Her back fur stands and she is alert, my senses in overdrive. I pack the duffle with the check and cash.

Dad, where are you we gotta get the hell out as dodge. After a few seconds of no reply, I try again. Dad? Alpha spotted me. We gotta leave!

Still no reply. Nothing! Fuck, the pack wolves must have gotten him already. I grab a baseball hat and slip it on, leaving the motel. Down the street, I spot two wolves in human form. Behind me, I sense another.

Fuck, I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead.

No, Lena! Focus.

"Evade and run, Lena. Never let them know you are fearful, walking with hast until you are clear, shift and run." That's what father taught me when I first started helping him steal.

I walk down an alley and see the forest. "Hey!"

Shit!

My body shifts on instinct and I run. Duffle in my mouth and paws drumming against the dirt. I run faster, my heart beating, ready to explode.