Chapter 5 - Rain

The next day

I woke up from a long sleep. It's almost 7 am, yet it's still dark outside. As I looked through the kitchen window, I saw that the sky was covered in thick, dark clouds. It's going to rain, isn't it?

I looked around and saw that Nicolo was passed out on the table in front of his laptop. I still wonder how he's not the Boss yet, he works so hard. I peeked inside Fabio's and Alessandro's rooms, just like Nicolo they were sleeping peacefully. It's rare for all four of us to wake up in the same house. Both Fabio and Alessandro have their own apartments, so they usually spend the night there, Nicolo has a house of his own, too. Somehow we never happen to spend the night at the hideout together, so today is a rare day. It's so sad I won't be here when they wake up. Oh well, a job's a job. I'll be a member of La Squadra Esecuzioni for "a short while". Which could be a month, a year or even forever. I changed into my typical work clothes and put some of my essentials like extra clothes and some snacks in my backpack. I gently moved Nicolo's hands off of his laptop and turned the device on. After reading through the messages he had exchanged with the Boss, I found the place where I was supposed to go. Nicolo won't be happy that I left without saying goodbye...

I began walking towards their hideout, but it was surprisingly far away. After almost an hour of walking, I was barely halfway there. How smart of me to not rent a car or something. But I decided to walk on purpose. I mean, no one would be glad to be greeted by a stranger at 7:30 am. I looked back up at the clouded sky and felt a water drop on my cheek. Yes, it's going to rain. I didn't mind the rain, it's refreshing. Other than the hood over my head, I didn't have any other protections against the bad weather. But a little rain won't hurt, will it?

After another hour of mindlessly walking through the rain, I was almost there. I got wet by the rain, so I just sat down under a roof to dry up a bit. The rain was pretty light, so I didn't really end up completely soaked, my coat was of great help, too. After another few minutes, I was decently dry. So it is time. I headed to the address I had noted on the back of my hand, walking in the shadows of the roofs so that I wouldn't get wet again. After walking for yet another 15 minutes, I finally arrived. There I was on the doorstep, contemplating on if I should knock or just run away and spend the rest of my days haunted by Passione. After a few seconds of hesitation, I finally knocked.

-Hm? Who's there?

The voice of a man asked from the other side of the door.

-Are you the delivery guy?
-... No.

I answered bluntly, the doorknob turned and the man peeked a bit outside.

-Then who the hell are you?
-Your new member.
-Wha-What? You? Our...new member?
-Yes.

The man was dumbfounded, did he even know a new member would be coming?

-Oi, Formaggio, what's going on?

Another man came to the door, I guess because this so-called "Formaggio" was taking a long time.

-Hm? Who are you??

The other man asked as well.

-Your new member.
-What?? You???
-Yes.
-I don't buy it. Show me your Passione badge.

Great. I guess they just weren't expecting a woman.
I pulled out my Passione badge from my pocket and showed them. After understanding that I really was a gangster, although they still looked reluctant on the fact that I really was a Passione member, given the fact that I could've been in another gang and stole the badge from someone else.

I stepped inside the building and looked around. 3 other men were sitting on a couch on the left side of the room, watching TV or something, another man was sitting in a chair next to them, doing something with his laptop.
The man dressed in purple-black clothes just glanced at me and licked his lips, I just rolled my eyes, I'm unfortunately used to these sorta things.

-Who's this lady guys?

The man with long hair tied into ponytails asked. I've heard this question too many in the span of 5 minutes.

-She's... Our new member.

Everyone in the room was completely shocked. A bunch of "I can't believe it!", "Is this for real?", "they sent a woman??" filled the room's silence.

-What is all the fuss about?

Another man asked while coming out of another room. He was tall- no, really tall and was wearing a coat similar to mine. Nice fashion taste.

-Boss, did they really send a woman as our new member?

The guy who I presume to be named Formaggio asked. Wait, "boss"? Is that their leader?

-There must be a mistake! Is she even from Passione? Isn't she a spy from another organization?

The man that had come to the door after Formaggio clearly didn't trust or like me.

-Hey! You didn't even give us your name!!

Now he's asking for my name.

-Ravioli.

The whole room was shocked again. They did not see that coming now, did they!

-That's... That's really Ravioli??
-I can't believe it... The shadow of Passione?

Everyone was surprised by my sudden revelation. Well, everyone except the guy who asked for that information.

-I don't buy that. Your face is not known to anyone. What if you're pretending to be her?
-Why are you doubting me so much? I was sent here by an order that my Capo, Nicolo Grigio, received from the Boss. I told you my name. Now tell me yours.

I kept my composure despite the fact that his doubtful attitude was starting to get a bit annoying. Whatever his name is, he's lucky I've dealt with people much more tiring than him.

-Prosciutto. Her Capo has already confirmed her identity. There's no need to worry.

Their leader defended me, finally that guy Prosciutto had nothing to question anymore. Everyone then introduced themselves to me before turning their attention back to the tv, while Formaggio, Melone and Illuso left to go get a mission done. I searched in my pocket for my phone and noticed that I had a lot of missed calls from Nicolo. I went to the hallway of the house and called him.

-Y/N what the hell's wrong with you??? Do you even know the scare you gave me??
-Why did you get scared? I accepted the job and-
-Not that! Why did you leave without telling me!?
-Because you were sleeping...
-I wasn't supposed to be sleeping... You should've woken me up. Still, are you already at their hideout?
-Yes.
-Did they doubt your identity?
-Yes, they did.
-Did Risotto step in?
-Yes, he did.
-Sigh...Thank god, you got lucky. The reason why I didn't tell you the address last night, was because I wanted to accompany you today. I knew this would happen. They don't give out their trust for free, especially after what happened two years ago. I told you, I've worked with them before, if I had come with you, you wouldn't have had to deal with that.
-What did you do to make Risotto trust my words?
-I told him that I've sent you as their new member, then I sent him a picture of you for reference.
-I owe you one. I don't know what I would have done otherwise...
-Thank Risotto, too. He's the one who was decent enough to read my messages.
-Yeah... I will.
-I have work to do now. You won't receive any orders from me from now on. As long as you're there, you are under Risotto's orders. Bye.
-I know. Bye.

We ended the call and I put away my phone. I glanced in the direction of a window and saw that it was still raining, a lot more heavily than before.

I remember someone once told me this: "Rain is always called bad weather. But it's only thanks to the rain that the plants keep growing, and grow tall. " Ever since then, whenever it rains, I get the feeling that something good will happen, I don't know why. I wonder what this "good something" could be in a situation like this. But I guess I'll see.

💖A/N***
Ah~ many things happened in this chapter, I hope you're enjoying this fanfiction!

I hope you liked the song I put at the beginning of the chapter, I just felt like it fit this chapter pretty well (or at least, the first half of the chapter lol)

Arrivederci!