A call to arms

※※Chapter Two※※

Thranduil was awoken from a light rest to harsh knocking on his door, rousing him into an upright position as he ran a hand through his hair and groggily mumbled "What is it?" at a volume barely loud enough to be heard by the guard on the other side

"The King Elessar has requested that you join him for a meeting in half an hour, my Lord. He will be awaiting your presence in the Council Chambers"

"You may assure the King that I will be there, thank you" he stated in return, waiting until he heard the footsteps of the guard leave their place outside his door before standing from the bed so that he could begin preparing for the meeting.

It was strange for him to be called upon. He had taken up a much more passive role in the City than anyone had ever expected, barely involving himself with politics and preferring to spend his days reclining in the gardens or, alternatively, riding out to the nearby Druadan Forest for a few nights at a time. Being called to a meeting of some kind was not unheard of, but it was something to regard as highly important. It must be, else he would still be relaxing in his bed in nightclothes, not stood in front of a mirror dressed in the elegant robes of an Elvish Lord. 

The finishing touch was the subtle silver circlet adorning his head to ensure his status was not forgotten, along with the new addition of a small and almost hidden braid on either side of his head, running in front of his ears. He made sure to double check that he looked as perfect as his gradually waning fëa would allow before walking out from the room and going down the marble halls to take his seat at a table of mortals, his head bowed slightly to maintain an air of more attentive and submissive grace than he would usually prefer. After all, he did not want to make himself seem self entitled or give the impression that he should be in a higher position of power than he had been permitted to hold.

The meeting began shortly after he had arrived, immediately getting to dragging on with formalities and routine checks of the food stores and people's contentment for some time. It did have Thranduil wondering just why he needed to be present in such a dull conversation before, finally, something piqued the Elven-King's interest. 

"My King, if we may move on to the main subject of the meeting.. we have reason to believe that orcs are once again spreading their filth in Gondor"

That comment caused an immediate hush to fall over the table, and the Elven-King to sit up far more straight, leaning forwards too, his sudden change of position alone enough to alert everyone in the room that he was very much interested in the new topic.

"Please continue, Hirgon. Do you have any more details? We cannot send a company out after rumours" Aragorn prompted, glancing briefly at all those at the table to gauge their reactions before trying to settle back in his own chair. He was desperate to avoid seeming on edge and making anyone any more nervous than they were already sure to be. Nerves and misjudgement were not something they could afford in matters of war and darkness.

Hirgon cleared his throat and spent a brief moment fiddling with a button on his shirt before looking at the King to continue his explanation of the reports that had been flooding in.

"Well- Many of our scouts have been turning in daily records which include sightings of small groups. No bigger than fifty or seventy at a time, but still a nuisance to clear. Apparently, they are getting bolder. Most of the men agree that they are originating from the West, closer to Near Harad than Gondor, but are spreading so far that they have begun to gather around the River Sirith and it's tributary Celos. Messenger birds from Pelargir have mentioned several instances of small scale raids as well. They are pressing the Capital for action"