If she was with someone else, she should have just told me. She should have just been honest with me. She is in a fully committed relationship and she told me she wasn't. She told me she was open to being with me and marrying me. 

I was very suspicious when she said that because to be honest, I didn't believe someone as beautiful and loved as she didn't have an admirer who she admired back. I didn't believe she didn't have a lover. And low and behold, she does. And it's my fucking gardener. 

"If I see him with another girl at midnight, I will be at your palace tomorrow morning to stay with the princesses that are here hoping to be selected for your marriage. If not, you leave me alone and never bother me again. Deal?" she asked, raising her eyebrows at me daringly. 

I by no means want her relationship to be jeopardized when she sees her boyfriend with someone else, but I'm going off of what I was told. I had someone dig a little dirt on him and they said that he was seen meeting a girl under the bridge a few nights ago. So, maybe if I send her there, she'll see it. 

If it is true. If not, then I can kiss her goodbye because there is no way she will ever want to see me again. 

"Deal," I smirked. 

"Okay, now that I have possibly just screwed myself over, excuse me. Tell my mother I left for the store," she said quickly, turning around and rushing inside. 

I looked over, spotting Lucas watching with curiosity. I rolled my eyes and followed her until she reached the gates. "Evelyn." 

She halted, stomping her foot before spinning around to face me. "What?" she hissed. 

I stopped mere inches away from her. Her breath hitched in her throat while she looked up at me. 

I leaned around her, plucking a daisy from the bunch behind her. I broke the stem in half before pushing her hair behind her ear, the whole time, her eyes following my hand. I chuckled, "I'm not going to choke you, relax." I tucked the flower behind her ear, the stem in her hair. "Red doesn't exactly go with purple. So no rose this time," I said, stepped back. 

She rolled her eyes pulling the flower out and shoving it against my chest. "Thanks, but no thanks." She turned to leave but I grabbed her hand, pulling her back. She crashed against me before steadying herself. 

"Take it as a gift," I said, putting the flower back in her hair. 

"I don't want any gifts from you," she scowled at me.

"You look adorable when you're angry, did I mention that?" I smirked. 

"I will rip your little gift to shreds, Prince Archer," she deadpanned. 

"Well, at least you took it," I shrugged. 

She huffed, shooting daggers at me. "I am not a princess and I'm not right for you," she said slowly. 

"You are not a princess, that's true," I nodded. "But I think you are right for me." 

She stared at me. 

"I'm not looking for someone to love, Evelyn. I'm looking for someone who can tolerate me and who I can tolerate. And frankly, I think we make a pretty good team," I winked. 

She rolled her eyes, suppressing a smile. "Goodbye, Prince Archer," she sighed, turning around to leave. 

"I shall see you the day after," I smirked. I turned around and went back inside while she continued walking out, heading to Cherie. I went back inside, interrupting the ladies' discussion. "Mrs. Harrington, Evelyn has gone to open Cherie, she wanted me to let you know." 

"Oh dear, she's making the prince give her messages. I'm sorry, your majesty, she knows nothing," her mother groaned. 

"Oh, she knows a lot. It's not a hassle, please continue," I smiled before walking away. I went upstairs and to my room, looking out of my window. It had a direct view of the pool that was connected to the backyard by a cobblestone path. If I go swimming right now, chances are my mother will send all the princess there. So maybe later. 

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

I looked at the clock dangling on the wall, waiting for it to strike midnight. As soon as it did, I shot out of my bed. I grabbed the towel off my chair and slipped my slides on. I opened the door and crept out, going downstairs and straight to the pool. I dropped the towel and then took my slides off, climbing in. 

I dunked my head under before swimming over to the deep end. I did a few laps, floated for a while, and while I was just leaning against the wall, letting my thoughts wander, until I heard footsteps on the grass. I straightened out, looking behind me where I thought I heard them from. 

I couldn't see clearly because only the pool lights were on, but I was able to make out the silhouette of someone walking around the perimeter before leaving the backyard and going around the palace. I fell into thought while sinking lower into the water, leaning my head against the edge. 

That was probably Lucas, wasn't it? It definitely was. 

I got out of the water and was heading back to my room with my towel over my shoulder when Chloe popped up out of nowhere in the hallway of my room. "Hello," I said awkwardly. 

"Hi, I was just looking for you," she smiled. 

"Oh. Do you need anything?" I asked, getting a little uncomfortable while she stared me up and down. 

"I was just thinking we could chat," she shrugged. She is the one princess I absolutely do not want to chat with. 

"I was actually going to shower, I'm sorry," I said apologetically. 

"I can wait," she offered. 

"I... take really long showers?" 

She looked at me in confusion. 

"Maybe another time," I offered. 

"Tomorrow?" she asked.

"Sure, uh, goodnight."

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 8

today was so slow omg

I accidentally wrote this chapter first in Evelyn's POV and omg that was so dumb so then I had to re-write it in archer's pov sorry for the delay

next chapter: defeat