Chapter 4

The bus rides and lunch are the only pleasant thing about school. I am panting after racing down the road to the bus stop. My best friend, Chase, is waiting for me.
     "Whoa, nerd girl! Slow down, your not in a 5k!" I smile at him.
     "But I coulda missed the bus and had to get a ride from Mrs. St. Region-McLeavin without you." he laughs and takes my cold hand in his.
     "God girl, your hands are freezing!" He says and holds my right hand in both of his.
     "Well I forgot gloves today."
     "Did you have another flash back?" I nod, taking a shaky breath.
     "Hey it's okay! You're fine!" I nod again.
     "Other than my beast of a step sister, my unfair mother, and silent step-dad I'm fine." I say sarcastically.
      "Exactly!" Chase replies. I can't help but smile at his unlimited supply of optimism. His straight brown hair was short in the back but his bangs were longer and gelled into a swerve to the one side. He had a Penn State hat on his head, and his breath turned to a misty fog as he spoke.
     "So you actually remember your lunch today?" He jokes, though I do forget once or twice every week.
      "Actually I almost forgot! Francis tossed it to me on my way out the door!" Chase grinned a half smile.
     "So your step-dad was helpful for once?"
     "I know right!" I say. It's great to be with a friend. SOMEONE who finally understands. I've known Chase since third grade when I moved to Pennsylvania and we've been friends ever since. The bus comes to a screeching stop in front of us. We climb on and into the back seats. I sit in the one seater and Chase in the seat next to me.

     "So, Nerd Girl, any incidents with Lilly today?"
     "Don't even get me started with her." I groan.
     "Oops, too late." I sigh and explain. Chase listens. When I finish he sighs,
     "Little sisters can be so annoying..." I raise an eyebrow.
     "Okay one, she's my STEP-sister. Two, you are so close to Amberli she doesn't count!" Chase is lucky. His little sister is actually pretty chill, for a sixth grader anyway. I some times tutor her in math after school. And Chase and I eat mac and cheese shaped like sponge bob or Star Wars characters as she does her homework. She struggles a little in school, but she's a bomb athlete. You name it, she can do it. Minus golf-but you can't blame her for getting bored with golf.

     "I may be close to my sister, but it doesn't mean she can't be annoying." Chase says matter of a factly. I sit back in my seat and think about MY brat of a step-sister. I can't believe at one point in my life I actually cared about her.