Jack quickly left her and climbed the stairs out of sight. Claire stood in the middle of the foyer as the footmen began to bring their trunks inside. She quickly moved out of the way and thought about what Jack had said. He wanted her to summon a servant. She had never summoned a servant before. Not even while they were in London. Aisling had always been there to service her needs. Claire did not even have to ask. She was entirely unused to being waited on.

Cole saved her the job of finding the bellpull in the drawing room. "Might I see to some refreshment, milady?" he asked. "Perhaps a tray of sandwiches?"

As if on cue, her stomach grumbled, as it seemed to be doing more frequently. Claire had noticed an increase in her appetite, and she nodded. "Yes, please," she agreed. "And would it be any trouble to tell the duchess that I have returned? Or, if you tell me where she is, I might go and visit with her."

"It is no trouble. The duchess has become fond of tea and a light meal in the afternoon, owing to her condition, of course." Cole showed Claire to the drawing room and closed the door, leaving her inside.

It was impossible to believe that she was now a resident of this fine house. The last time Claire had been in this room, she had been wearing a gown that had been made by their mother for Grace nearly ten years earlier. Now, she was wearing yet another gown of Grace's, only its value was quintupled.

The drawing room had a beautiful view of the garden through its large window, which caught the last delights of the afternoon sun. A book had been left on one of the canary yellow settees, as though someone had been reading in here recently.

A portrait of the Beresford family hung above the fireplace. Peregrine, the late duke, sat in the centre, his wife beside him. It must have been painted some years ago, as Susanna appeared no more than eleven or twelve. She was seated in front of her parents, and behind them were their two sons. Adam stood proudly, but Jack ... somehow the artist had managed to capture Jack's genuine discomfort. Why could Cecily not see how wonderful Jack was?

Jack had mentioned that he knew his mother had a heart, and Claire believed him. She had seen it, too. Cecily was an odd, doting sort of friend to her mother. Mrs Denham entertained the duchess regularly for tea and received invitations from Cecily personally just as often. She was also a very proud grandmother, and Claire had watched these last two years as she fawned over Perrie. Why could she not bestow the same love on her own son?

If she could, if it were possible, Claire would have swallowed her fear and marched right up to Cecily to tell her what Jack had done for Claire.

"... I've heard that eating the eye of a lamb can ensure an unborn child is a boy, or is it the bladder ...?"

Claire spun around the moment she heard voices approaching the drawing room, and she recognised the loudest as the duchess'. The door was opened for them by Cole and Grace, Cecily, and Perrie were announced.

Perrie toddled in ahead of her mother and grandmother, and excitedly ran to Claire with her arms extended when she saw her aunt. Perrie was wearing white today, with a blue ribbon fixed in her dark hair. She giggled as Claire picked her up, and for the first time, Perrie's giggle thrilled Claire from deep within.

"I missed you, dear one," she said, kissing Perrie's temple.

Grace was quick to collect them both in a hug, squeezing Claire tightly. When she pulled back, Claire noticed how perfectly rosy Grace was. Claire could see, poking out from underneath her skirts, was a perfectly noticeable protrusion.

"I missed you more," insisted Grace. "How are you? How was your journey?"

"Let the girl breathe, Grace," tsked Cecily. "Besides, I need to finish telling you about these lamb's bladders. I've had it on good authority that –"