twelve

My eyes flattered open, when the bright sunlight, illuminated my room. I blinked a little, and found Rue curled up on her bed and the blanket was on the floor. "Rue.." No reply. I looked at the clock on the side table, it was 7.59 a.m., and it felt like the hole house was sleeping. I got on my feet and tiptoed downstairs, to make myself breakfast, I don't know, why I was up so early. My heart stopped for a moment, when I heard soft whimpers in the living room. It wasn't very recognizable, but I figured, it were Tyler and Joe. Both lying on the couch, honestly I thought they were gone. "Hi." Tyler breathed, while he stretched and than got up. Not now! I couldn't handle him, that early in the morning. "Hey."

"Hungry?" I nodded, "I was going to get a sandwich, than go back." He leaned against the counter with crossed arms, while he was eyeing me. I kind of felt embarrassed about, him being in his boxers, at least he got his shirt on. "Like what you see?" He teasingly asked, which made my stomach twist. "Um.. Why are you still here?" I quickly changed the subject, which he seemed to notice. "Your mom didn't want to let us go she loves us.. no just kidding. It's because of the trains, we thought it wouldn't make much sense, if we stayed very late, and soon left, so we crashed here." He explained and I only nodded. "I'm kind of hungry too." He rubbed his stomach and I rolled my eyes.

"Than get yourself something to eat." I don't know why, I was being mean to him, but I think it's because, he flirted with me, which I didn't like. "We could share a sandwich." I gasped, but he only opened the fridge and took it out. "I don't.. I mean.." He parted the sandwich and handed me the other half. Okay, it was cute but, he was kind of getting on my nerves. "Thanks." I almost whispered. My hands, brought the sandwich up to my mouth, so I had an excuse, to not talk. "What about today? We could hang out right?" He asked and took a huge bite, which almost let the whole sandwich dissappear. "I can't," I mumbled, "Why?" Why all those questions?

"I have to get something from my friend." Yes, I referred Harry as a friend. "I can come with you-"

"No you can't." I almost choked on my sandwich. "Why?" He stuck his hand out, to pet my back, but I jerked away. "Tyler, can you not? I just don't think it's a good idea okay? I'm not interested and I won't take you to my friend." I left with those words, slightly feeling sorry.

When it was almost 6 p.m., I made myself ready. I straightened my hair and wore something less innocent. What if his parents were there? Well maybe not, I mean, I don't think Harry would ever invite me to his house, when his parents were there. I scanned myself in the mirror and had a little doubt, to go out like this. I liked the body hugging shirt, with a little cleavage, but I didn't think, this was outstanding. I needed help from a friend. My fingers quickly dialed Jess' number and she immediately answered, "Hello?"

"Jess,"

"Hey Leticia." Her voice, sounded hoarse and shaky, which left me concerned. "Jess? What happened?" After a long silence, sobbings followed. "It's just.. my dad." My heart pounded against my ribcage. "Is he okay?" I carefully asked. Her dad was everything to her, she only had him, after her mom passed away, due to an airplane crash on the way, to Atlanta, she was an air hostess. "He is drunk and then he started yelling at me.." Her voice broke and I knew, I needed to go to her. "I'm coming okay?"

"Okay." She whispered and I hung up. I quickly texted Harry, Can't come something happened, sorry. X

He wasn't online, what if he was waiting now? I would explain it to him, I bet he had comprehension.

I got on my bike, and rushed out. I wish, I stayed with Jess, maybe, this would've had prevented her dad from yelling at her, or even drinking. Andrew was always nice to me, he really liked me, for taking care of Jess, throughout the painful months of her loss, I helped them both. He told me, that I was the only female person in her life right now, and that she needed that.

I threw my bike on the ground, when, I finally reached Jess' apartment. I texted her to open up, since, I was a little scared, to find her drunk dad in front of the door. I took the elevator, to the 12th floor and saw her already outside. "Jess." I whispered and took her in a tight embrace. "I don't know what to do." She cries, and I feel her teardrops, go through my shirt. "I just wanna get out of here." She shakes her head and runs her fingers through her messy brown hair. "Is he there?" She nodded and I felt my heart sink. "He is totally drunk and he kept yelling at me and threw dishes around. Mom's dishes." She broke down and I felt the pain grow in my body. I didn't know what to do right now. Well, I knew what it felt like to experience abuse. My parents abused me, and they still do, the only thing I always did is hide away. I just hid. I was too scared to talk to anyone about it, not even Jess knew, but she would ask me about the bruises and wounds. "Let's go somewhere else." She nodded and linked her arm with mine. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, when we got out.

"Hello?"

"Tisha, are you alright?" It was Harry. He saw the text. "Yeah, but my friend isn't."

"What happened?" I looked at Jess, would it make me a bad friend if I told? "She got sick." Silence on the other end. "Okay, is it serious?"

"No."

"Okay." Jess seemed confused, about the person on the other end, and I mouthed, that it was Harry. "I will pick it up tomorrow okay?" He agreed with the idea, told me, to tell Jess to get well soon and said goodbye. I sighed, as he hung up, how badly, I wanted to see him now, his voice drove me crazy. "You guys are friends ore something?" Jess asked with swollen eyes and a red nose. "Yes.." I almost wanted to tell her about me lying to her. That I had to get home, when I just went to the zoo with Harry and Josephine. I only realized now, how much Jess needed me, and how stupid I was for doing it. "Jess?" She looked up to me, "I will always care about you okay?" She nodded and lazily tugged the corner of her mouth up. "Can we go at yours?" She asked, reminding me, that Tyler and Joe were still there. "I.." She was in a crisis, I had to take her to my home, no matter if we had visitors. "Okay." I took my bike and dragged it besied me, while we walked home.