37 Backs to the Wall

Magsimula sa umpisa

I went through into the kitchen of the trailer and fixed Ace a neat scotch. I decided not to have one as I wanted to have this conversation straight.

Ace lit up a cigarette and paced around the room. I handed him his drink, expecting him to sip it, but he tossed the half-glass back in one mouthful then handed it back to me to refill.

"What's happened?" I asked as I popped the lid back off the decanter.

Ace didn't say a word.

"I know something's up." I poured him his second glass and handed it to him, and he seemed to avoid eye contact.

"The money's coming in too slow, isn't it? Is that becoming a problem?"

Still silence.

"Ace, talk to me."

He tossed back his half-glass and then went to the bench and poured himself a full one. He drank back the lot - no kidding - and then leaned, palms down, on the bench with the cigarette still burning between his fingers. "You know how I've been talking to Markus about that deal with the guys in Portland?" he said.

"You mean those business guys that own all the companies? The one who'll start cleaning your cash?"

"Yeah."

Ace has talked about getting into a partnership with the other garage in Chamberlain that we delivered cars to when Ace's was full. But apparently, the arrangement is far more involved than just the one garage. There are a couple of big-wigs from Portland who own more than ten companies, and they are looking to wash money through them for both Ace and Markus - the owner of the other garage. The plan is for the two guys to officially buy into the parent company and receive a percentage of their money back as wages, dividends and other bonuses over time. If the deal works out, not only would Ace have clean cash to spend, but he'll have a legit income to help keep the cops off his back. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and one he cannot afford to miss out on.

"They can clean everything I get; every penny. But here's the catch. The deal only stays on if I can feed them $25K every month or it's not worth their time. I got about seventeen. And the first payment's in two days."

"So... you need eight thousand dollars in two days? What happens if you don't get it?"

"Deal's off. For good."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I don't need you going grandma and freaking the fuck out about it."

"I'm not freaking out," I said, defensively folding my arms. Although, that was a lie. My brain had already kicked into overdrive as it racked itself for solutions. "You, on the other hand, you're like a different guy. You're angry all the time, you hardly eat, don't sleep, and when was the last time we-"

Ace paced the room, sucking on his cigarette, making no eye contact with me. For a moment, I wondered if he was even listening to me or if his mind was elsewhere.

"I get you're under pressure," I continued, "but let's put our heads together and work it out. You shouldn't be going it alone. Especially since this is my fault."

"Diego's fault."

That's not my view, but I refrained from sidetracking the argument. "Whatever. Just, don't shut me out."

"There's nothing you can do, Cassie," Ace spat. "I've been trying to rig up these other deals to get more money coming in, but they've all been thrown back in my fucking face. And now, I gotta do some shit that I really don't wanna do." Ace's shoulders heaved as if another surge of anger was building, and it thundered out of him as he booted the kitchen wastebasket, caving in the tin as his steel cap almost went right through it.

"What do you have to do?"

Ace tossed his smoke into the side-squashed wastebasket. "I'll be outta town the next couple of days."

"Ace, why can't you just talk to me? I thought we were a team. I swore to stick by you. But I can't do that if you never tell me anything."

"Alright - you wanna know? OK, but you gotta swear you won't preach any of your goodie-two-shoes bullshit."

"OK... I won't judge." But I did brace myself. Because this sounded bad.

"I'm gonna do some burgs."

"What... burglaries?" I know I said I wouldn't judge, but I couldn't have spat that any more derisively, and I'm sure my expression was to match. Stealing cars was one thing. Invading someone's private chambers, rummaging through their draws and other personal spaces and taking their belongings - that's bottom of the barrel bullshit.

"It'll fix this."

"That may be, but what about the 25K we'll need for next month? Are you gonna go out and steal more stuff? With the cops already on your back, long term, this is completely unfeasible."

"Don't you think I know that?!" His roar ricocheted off the thin trailer walls, and I rubbed away the tickle in my eardrum. He snatched up his keys from the bench and stormed out the front door, slamming it behind him so hard it bounced open again.

I slumped down on the sofa and watched the tin door sway in the breeze as the '49 roared up and sped off down the hill.

And that's when the crazy idea hit me. It was a lightbulb moment. I mean, I don't know if Keith will have anything for me, and if he does, the chances of Ace letting me do it are slim to none. But maybe... if it pays well enough... Ace won't be able to say no. The way he was tonight, the lengths he's willing to go to, he's scaring me. Things are getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures.

  Things are getting desperate, and desperate times call for desperate measures

Reading that back for the millionth time, but not for a few days... Damn, that's intense! Lol.  Please let me know what you thought!  Would love to hear from you all!! xx