Vera Klein

In the end our investigation proved to not be necessary, Mrs. Triche had revealed herself to be the town’s serial killer by killing her husband to protect her son. Bruce and I were skeptical, thinking she only copied the killer’s modus operandi, but after a year passed and there were no more killings in the town, we accepted the facts laid out in front of us.
Something never felt quite right about it all.
She told us that she killed them all to try to build up the courage required to kill the demon that terrorized her and her angel. She said she started by killing strangers. And moved on to eventually kill a close high school friend. If she could kill someone close, then she felt like she would be able to kill Eblis Triche. After the killing of her high school friend she still didn’t feel strong enough to go through with Eblis. She killed another. And she may have killed a lot more if her hand wasn’t force, if Eblis didn’t beat her angel within inches of his life.
In my talks with Edrie while she was in custody, I never saw that thing in her, the thing that serial killers are made of. She didn’t do it for the thrill. She didn’t do it for the pleasure. She didn’t do it because she had to. She did it to try to become strong for her child, her angel. Her child that may already be too far gone.
As for Ethan, the only thing left so say is that he’s led the kind of life, and has the genes, that breed true serial killers, not angels.