The Start of An Adventure

"I do believe Master Baggins won't be joining us." Said Bofur.

We were all getting our ponies saddled for our journey.

Thorin only grumbled as he mounted his pony.

I walked over to Gandalf. "Do you think he will come?"

"I have faith in your cousin, though he has none in himself. He will come." He smiled.

"Would you like to make things interesting? Put some money on your hobbit?" Dwalin smirked.

I rolled my eyes while many of the dwarves took wages on whether or not Bilbo would show up.

Honestly, I didn't know what to think.

I got my pony and followed the others down the trail. Gandalf was in the lead.

We had only just gotten out of the Shire when I heard something in the distance.

"Wait!!"

"What's that?" Kili said from the back of the line.

"I signed it!" Bilbo came into view.

I smiled. I was glad that he was coming.

"I signed it." Bilbo panted as he handed the contract to Balin.

The old dwarf took the contract, and gave Bilbo a look that seemed to say "Are you sure about this?"

Bilbo gave a slight nod and Balin looked over the contract.

"Everything seems to be in order here." He smiled as he put his glasses away.

"Get him a pony." Thorin said as he turned to ride off.

"No! That won't be necessary! I can walk." Bilbo argued. He had always been afraid of horses, or rather, ponies.

His requests went unnoticed as he was lifted on to a pony. Myrtle.

I giggled as I watched him struggle to get situated. I came up next to him.

"Isn't this exciting cousin?" I asked him, smiling.

He gave me a weary look. "I hope so.."

I smiled once more then looked up towards the front of the line, where Thorin rode.

He looked so...majestic. So strong, and sure of himself. He knew what he wanted, and he would do anything to get it back.

Right then, Fili and Kili came trotting up on either side of me.

"So Scarlet, have you ever been on an adventure before?" Asked Kili curiously.

I shook my head. "Bilbo and I always used to pretend, but we have never left The Shire."

"This must be very exciting for you then?" Fili inquired.

I laughed and nodded.

The brothers continued to tell me stories about their many adventures. They were very interesting dwarves.

We had been riding for a couple hours when it suddenly started to rain.

Fili and Kili were still riding next to me, when Kili yelled to Gandalf, "Can't we rest for a bit? My pony is getting tired!"

"Aye! And my stomach is rumbling!" Gloin threw in.

My stomach growled as well.

"Alright! Let's find some shelter." Gandalf said as he started searching for a covered place to stop.

Thorin groaned, "We mustn't stop. We have so much longer to go."

"Erebor isn't going anywhere Thorin. A little break won't hurt." Gandalf countered.

The dwarf king huffed, but said no more on the subject.

We came upon a little alcove of rocks that blocked most of the rain.

We came to a stop and tied up the ponies.

"Ori! Get a fire going." Thorin ordered as he tied his pony.

The fire was started, and food given out.

I finished my dinner rather quickly, and decided to go explore a little.

The rain had died down to a light mist, so walking through it wasn't bad.

I got to a ledge of rocks, and decided to sit down. The view was incredible.

I heard loud screeching come from the forest below. It was a horrid sound.

I jumped up and ran back to camp.

When I got there, the noise kept coming.

"What was that?" Bilbo asked as he came closer to the dwarves, clearly frightened.

"Orcs." Kili replied.

"Orcs?" Bilbo and I asked simultaneously.

He nodded. "There'll be loads of them out there. Attack at night. No sound, just a lot of blood."

A worried look crossed Bilbo's face. I noticed Kili look back at Fili, and they snickered at my cousin's reaction.

"Do you think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin stood angrily and walked to look at the view.

"We didn't mean anything by it.." Kili looked down, ashamed of angering his uncle.

"No, you didn't." Thorin replied. He stood with his back to us.

"Don't worry about him. Thorin has more reason than most to hate orcs." Balin reassured us.

He then began to tell the story of Thorin's nemesis, Azog. The pale Orc.

I shuddered as Balin spoke of the king being beheaded.

As the story ended, Thorin turned to face us.

"It was at that moment, I knew I would follow him. I could call him king."

We all looked at the king under the mountain.