Chapter 11 All I Want

Start from the beginning

"It's a great place, nice and bright, perfect for a painter," I added looking around at the freshly painted walls.

"Yeah, I was pretty lucky.  Benji and Ajax helped me find it, so it was all arranged before I even got here.  It even comes with a parking spot in the private garage across the street.  I didn't bother parking there now since there was a spot open right out front.  Anyway, I've got what I needed, should we get going?"

"Sure.  Do you have an idea what you'd like?"

“The first thing I need in order to move in is a bed, so I guess we’ll start there.  Ajax gave me a list of places,” he said as he pulled out another folded up piece of paper.

“Can I see?” I asked.  Finn passed me the paper and I scanned it, knowing most of the stores.  “Why don’t we try this one first,” I suggested pointing to one on the list I knew particularly well.  “They have a big selection and they usually can deliver within a few days.  That’s where I bought some of the furniture for the apartment, including my bed.”

“Oh…well then it’s probably out of my price range,” he chuckled.

“Hey, I’m a careful shopper, I never spend frivolously, I just think it’s important to get good quality, especially in a bed you should get the absolute best you can afford because a good night’s sleep is important.”  If he’d let me, I’d buy him the best money could buy, but I knew he wouldn’t. At least I knew he had a healthy amount of money available to him to buy everything he needed.  Besides the 'insurance' money I'd arranged, he'd probably accumulated quite a bit of money just from all the paintings he'd sold.

“Yeah, I guess you have a good point. So we’ll start at…Redmond’s then. Do you know the best way to get there from here?”  I explained how to get to the location and Finn pulled the car out once he understood.  It all seemed so normal and comfortable, like two friends.  Not at all like we used to be, but maybe a new version…and I was willing to take whatever I could get, as long as I got to spend time with him.  I just had to be careful not to push too hard, he was so independent now, it had me awestruck just watching him.

When we arrived at the store we headed toward the bedding section where they had what looked like about 50 beds to choose from.  A man came over to help us right away and explained the different types so that Finn knew where to start.  “The best way is to try them,” the man suggested, “it sounds like you’re looking for a good quality bed with lots of support, so let’s go over to this area, these are our best ones, you can see what you like.”  We followed him across to a section and Finn started lying down on the ones that appealed to him.

“It’s a good thing Benji isn’t with us,” he remarked.  “I can just imagine him goofing around so bad we’d get kicked out.”  I grinned at the thought of the two of them; Benji’s craziness and level-headed Finn trying to keep him in line.  “I don’t think I need a King size, that would take up too much space in my bedroom, I think I’ll go for a Queen.”

Finn was moving around the showroom with a huge grin on his face that was contagious.  “Oh my god,” he called out excitedly.  “I think this is the one; come here Nico, let me know what you think.”  The salesman gave me what looked like a knowing smirk, but one glare in return took that look right off his face.  I made my way through the maze of beds until I reached Finn who had a blissful look on his face as he lay down on one of the beds with his eyes closed.

Sensing my presence he let out a deep sigh and spoke in a deep, lazy voice.  “I don’t think I’m ever going to get off this bed, it feels so good.”  I let out a low chuckle and walked around to the other side and lay down, leaving plenty of space between us.