chapter three

"Welcome home!"

Daniel stepped inside the apartment, noting the feminine touches with a small smile. The place was tidy, and smelled of cinnamon. The living room led into the kitchen, creating a spacious area to lounge and entertain guests.

"It's very nice," he commented, closing the door to the apartment behind him. She gave him a warm smile, gesturing around happily.

"I cleaned before coming to get you. Wanted it to look nice. I can't promise it will look like this all the time, though," she stated with a small, lighthearted laugh, the sound bringing another smile to his face.

"I appreciate that, and no worries. I don't think I'll be too much of a neat freak. Maybe I'll drive you crazy with my messiness," he replied playfully, not missing the blush that crept over her cheeks. He found it rather easy to make her blush, though he figured it was more what he said rather than it being him. He wasn't that attractive, and certainly not to a girl like her— a woman way out of his league.

"Would you like to see your room?" Emily asked, pulling him from his thoughts.

"Yes, of course," he said quickly, tightening his grip on his bag as he followed her down the hallway and into a bedroom on the right. It was small, with soft grey walls and a bed off to one side. It would do, and he was greatly appreciative.

"I've cleaned out the dresser and closet, so you should have enough storage. If not we can figure something out."

Daniel looked at her, still in awe of how generous she'd been up to this point. She didn't have to do anything for him but here she was, going out of her way to make sure he had everything he needed. He'd have to find a way to repay her, show her how grateful he was for her kindness.

"I'm sure this will be plenty of storage for now. Thank you. I hope it wasn't too much trouble?" he asked with a raised brow, and she quickly shook her head.

"Not at all. I barely used this room after my friend moved out," she replied, and he found himself relaxing more.

He moved to the bed, setting his bag down. She had taken him shopping the day before, where she helped pick out clothing that would suit him.

Emily had assured him she didn't mind spending the money, telling him that Dr. Carlyle had made a generous donation to help get him settled in. They both wanted him to be able to get back on his feet.

Her friends had asked her why she cared so much about a stranger, and she found she couldn't give them a proper answer. She would simply say "it's the right thing to do", and leave it at that. And it truly was the right thing to do. She had felt responsible for him ever since that night in the park. It had nothing to do with the fact she found him extremely charming. Not one bit. She just saw the good in him, saw the need in a friend.

"I was thinking about ordering a pizza for dinner. Does that sound good to you?" Emily asked as she moved to the phone, and when he nodded she dialed the number of her local pizza shop and waited.

Tuning out the conversation, Daniel looked around the room once more with a small smile before sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You okay, Freddie?"

Daniel jerked to his feet, his eyes roaming over the room quickly. Was he hearing someone outside? Moving to the window he pushed it open and quickly poked his head out to check, finding no one in the alleyway. He frowned, wincing when a sharp pain interrupted his thoughts. Headaches had been a constant hassle since waking up, so he'd grown used to them, but this one was different.

"The pizza is on its way!" Emily called from the kitchen, and when the pin subsided Daniel stepped out of the bedroom with a forced smile.

Something about the voice threw him off. It was so similar, yet like a stranger at the same time. He didn't want to admit it to himself, but the voice was almost identical to his. But that wasn't pos—

"You okay, Daniel?"

He looked up, meeting her concerned gaze. He found a sense of comfort in the way she looked at him, and thoughts of the strange voice vanished as a genuine smile spread over his cheeks.

"Just fine."