Chapter 11 - Let's Get This Party Started

Charlotte had wiggled herself in the tight sparkly dress, that thankfully just covered her butt. She didn't really remember why she'd agreed to wearing it, but Evelyn promised her the solutions to her mathematics homework, so it would be worth it.

Evelyn wore a dark red dress that hugged the perfect curves of her body. She still looked like she just came back from vacation, with her tanned skin and glowing black hair. Her dress was longer than Charlotte's dress, touching her knees, but it showed more cleavage. However, Harper still won the competition when it came to showing off cleavage. Charlotte thought she would actually be able to see Harper's belly button if she would look from above. But Harper did look very good, her curly blond hair wild and pretty. "She was ready for the hunt," Evelyn said with a grin on her face. Chloe wore her blue revenge-dress. She always wore the same sexy dress when she'd broken up with her boyfriend (again).

The party was organized in the gigantic city hall, with tables and sofa's at the sides and an enormous dancefloor in the middle. There was a heightened platform in the center, where the DJ rose above the crowd. You could also go upstairs, to the balcony that surrounded the dancefloor, but only the seniors were allowed there, which Charlotte was. You could order cocktails, beer, wine and alcohol-free drinks. You did have to show your ID to get alcohol, but Evelyn was already 18, which meant she could order their drinks for them. And Harper was one of the head students, so no one bothered to ask her ID when she went behind the bar and took some free drinks herself.

"I'll get some booze", Evelyn yelled. The music was loud and there were already lots of people dancing, even though it was only 11 pm. These kind of parties always started early and ended late. Most of the rich parents didn't allow their kids gathering at their home to drink before the party started, so they all just went straight to the party. Charlotte nodded and looked around for Liam. If Diego was with him, he couldn't go to the balcony as Diego was only in his fifth year. She didn't see them. She also didn't really know why she wanted him to see her in her slutty dress.

When Evelyn came back, she gave Charlotte, Harper and Chloe a cup filled with white wine.

"You look so hot, Charlotte. We'll find you a guy tonight," Evelyn smiled, but Charlotte rolled her eyes.

"I am not looking for a boy," she answered.

"I've seen some boys looking at you already," Harper assured.

"You have?", Charlotte asked before she could control herself. Harper laughed, because Charlotte's question proved she actually did want some attention. Was it so wrong to want some eyes locked on you? Maybe she should just admit to herself she wanted to feel attractive?

"You're single now. You should get out there! Live a little!", Harper said. "I'm having so much fun now that I'm single. I'm having a thing with two of Liam's friends."

"Two?", Chloe gaped.

Harper nodded and started dancing. They danced and drank. Charlotte didn't count how many times Evelyn refilled her cup. After a while, she noticed she wasn't drinking wine anymore, but some kind of champagne-tasting thing. However, Harper probably lied when she'd stated that a lot of boys had looked at her, because Charlotte didn't see anyone looking at her.

"We're going up!", Evelyn said after a while, pointing at the balcony.

Charlotte nodded: "I think I'm going to look for Liam. I want to say hi. I'll come soon."

Her friends disappeared and Charlotte started moving through the mass. She had to stop and say hi to some people about five times, before she found Liam. He was with Diego, of course, and they both looked really good. He had really restyled Diego, giving him a black jeans and a basic dark-grey T-shirt. Although simple, she knew it was an expensive outfit. Liam never dressed up casually. Liam wore the green shirt he'd worn when they kissed for the first time.

"Liam!", she yelled enthusiastically. The alcohol had replaced her jealousy with joyfulness. When Liam saw her, he smiled.

"Charlotte, you look so good!" He hugged her and she startled. She hadn't expected that, not after they broke up. His compliment came so naturally, like they were best friends. She hugged him back. He still smelled the same as three weeks earlier. She'd forgotten how his hugs felt and smiled, hoping no one would notice.

"You also look so good, both of you!", she answered after he let her go, looking at Diego once more. The boy smiled as a silent thank you.

"Jake's here", Liam said, suddenly.

"What?", Charlotte frowned: "Did you invite him?"

"No!" Liam sounded a little bit too defensive and looked at Diego. Did Diego know about Jake? That couldn't be, right? Why would he tell Diego? "No, but I saw him. I'm not hanging out with him anymore", he added in a clear voice. "Not since the party."

"Good", Charlotte said. She didn't really know why Liam wanted her to know Jake was at the party. Did he want to spare her from the shock of seeing him? Or did he want to let her know that he didn't do drugs anymore? "I'm going to the balcony. I'll see you guys around."

"We'll wave." Liam winked and Charlotte laughed. She liked that they were still friends. Soon, the awkwardness would fade an maybe they would actually talk again, like they used to when they were together.

Charlotte turned around, but she didn't go to the balcony. The alcohol had made her brave and careless. She took another sip of her cocktail-like drink and moved through the mass once more. She got some elbows in her sides when passing through some groups of dancing students. One girl whispered bitch when she accidently ran into her, but when the girl turned around and stared in Charlotte's eyes, she swallowed. Charlotte smiled, knowing the girl recognized her. Everyone knew Charlotte Anderson. Everyone knew they shouldn't mess with her. "Sorry," the girl said.

"It's okay." Charlotte went past her.

When she stopped, her eyes analyzed the room until she found him. He stood behind one of the high tables at the sides of the room, close to the entrance. His drink was on the table, untouched, and he was alone, with his back against the wall. He wore a blue shirt with long sleeves tightly around his muscled arms and Charlotte knew the blue color matched his eyes perfectly, even without seeing them at that moment. He looked just as rich as them. Jake did fit in. Girls stared at him when they passed through the entrance, but none of them stopped to talk to him. Although girls liked to be approached by boys, there was another reason they did not stop: Jake had a mysterious but cold appearance, like he wasn't interested in anyone at the party and he would turn down anyone who approached him. That was what made him suspicious, just like he'd looked different the first time she'd seen at Evelyn's party. He looked untouchable.

But Charlotte didn't care about that. She stormed towards him, not really knowing what she would do. She felt the alcohol take over, making her more brave than she should be. Jake noticed her and made eye-contact. He didn't know she knew. He smiled. She put on an angry face. She would tell him what she thought about him and his drug dealing.

---- 

What do you think about the story so far? 

What will Charlotte say? And how will Jake react? 

Do you think she still loves Liam and what do you think about Diego? 

Thanks for reading my book! I really appreciate it sooo much! <3