Chapter One

Dedicated to Pasqualine for being my inspiration. Chaoter 3 of your new book inspired this change! Thanks for always being there for me.

A/N I will dedicate the next chapter to the person who comments first :) So please comment

I begin to pick up the pace as I walk hurriedly on the streets of London. I was stupid enough not to contact a taxi service to take me to my first day of work this morning. Having been in London for a whole of three days now, I have been trying to acquaint myself with its streets between unpacking and shopping for groceries and other household supplies.

Thinking about my current accommodation, I smile to myself and once again I tell myself that I have been truly blessed. My apartment is on the third floor of one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. My apartment itself is quite spacious and well furnished. The living room area and the kitchen is conjoined.

The kitchen. I am in love with the kitchen. It has marble countertops and white flooring. Everything in the kitchen is stain-less steel and I can literally see my reflection in the sink. It has a breakfast island with lights hanging from the ceiling.

The living room area has a flat screen television and occupying the floor space is a recliner and a loveseat, both in black. The floor itself was covered in lush carpeting that was soft brown in colour.

My bedroom is a bit plain but I figured that it was my job to spruce it up. It contained a queen sized bed, a spacious cupboard and desk in one corner. Attached to my bedroom is the bathroom which houses a shower, a bathtub and a sink. It all had the same modern look that resonated throughout the rest of the apartment.

I finally arrive at my destination, St. Mary’s hospital. It is quite big and has seven floors. I practically run through the hospital doors, up the stairs to the fourth floor and into the cardiac ward,

“Doctor Katherine Roberts from South Africa”, I say breathlessly, “Where do I sign in?”

“Doctor Roberts, you’re just in time. I was worried that you were unable to find your way”, says a manly voice behind me.

I turn around and look into jade orbs, as well as a neatly brushed head of jet black hair.

“I am doctor Stevens, I will be showing you around today and introducing you to the team. We are pleased to have you here with us. It is well-known that Anderson beneficiaries are impeccable professionals in their respective fields.”

I smile at doctor Stevens and try to absorb as much information about the hospital as I possibly can. I follow him around as he gives me a brief tour of the hospital and our final stop is the staff room.

“Everyone, this here is doctor Katherine Roberts from Cape Town, South Africa and she will be working with us for the next two years”, says doctor Stevens.

I look around the room anxiously and find myself looking at tired, but happy faces.

After five hours of doing ward rounds, consultations and admitting new patients, I am dog tired. I have just over an hour for lunch as I am quite efficient. I decide to go out and find a Starbucks and try it for the first time as Starbucks haven’t reached the African shores yet.

I arrive at Starbucks and woah! This place is packed! But the aroma of freshly ground coffee is enticing and I decide that even if I spend my entire lunch waiting in line, it will simply be worth it.

After about fifteen minutes of waiting in line, I reach the counter and am greeted by a friendly barista.

“Good morning ma’am, what would you be having today”

“Uhm…….”                                                     

I look at the wall above that displays the orders and I am utterly confused.

“First timer huh?”

 “Uhm…yeah…I mean yes. It’s that obvious?” I mumble.

“Well, you’re just standing there so yes, it’s pretty obvious.” Says the barista.

 “Uhm, okay I think I’ll go with the Caffé Latte. It sounds simple enough. The only coffee I ever drank was just your ordinary coffee and cappuccino. Is this Latte thing good though? I don’t like my coffee really that sweet but I don’t like it bitter and all strong. Oh my word! I’m rambling again aren’t I? I’m Kate by the way. What’s yours? Uh, I mean your name? Oh it’s Sarah, it’s written on your name tag. Okay I am going to stop now. A Caffé Latte it is” I smile weakly while my face takes on a crimson hue.

“Okay, Caffé Latte it is uh Kate”

After getting my order I practically bolt out of the door. That was so embarrassing! I’m walking at a reasonably fast pace when my phone suddenly rings. I try to get it out of my pocket with my one free hand while still walking, but my head is down and I don’t see where I’m walking.

Bam! I start groaning, “ugh my head”