Chapter 8: The Black Devil

Louis and I were preparing the documents and sheets for the Meteor Festival during the morning, so that Dom and the others would return before sunset. Everything was coming together just fine, but that's until we heard the TV in the background. We had it on for background noise, which Louis and I found to be most relaxing, but it was different this time. 

"Louis, turn up the volume on the TV, would you?" I was concerned, this wasn't like any other news. 

They camera panned over to the reporter who I assumed to be in the city, but as soon as we turned the volume up, the camera shifted towards the ground. 

"Really, another devouring...?" Louis groaned. 

My heart sunk, I knew that there were cases of devouring, but with recent events, it was becoming too common.

"The victim is of a 22 year old gazelle, who was assumed to be attacked by three carnivores belonging to the canine branch. Police believe the culprits consist of a dog, a wolf, and a coyote." said the reporter. Louis and I were there have second thoughts on sending Dom out. 

"With all these devouring cases, I don't feel comfortable sending Dom out into the city." I informed Louis. 

"You're right, I don't feel safe about that either, but we have to send someone in his place." Louis said. 

We looked at the list of who was selected to go into the city. Let's see here. Tao, Aoba, Bill, and Legoshi are still on the list of students to go into the city. I looked over the list, but then it hit me. 

"I can go in place of Dom, Louis." I answered. "I haven't been to the city, so this would be a great opportunity for me to experience it first hand."

"I don't see a problem with that." Louis agreed. 

Louis called Gon to request for a group change while I called up Dom to update him about the trip. He seemed upset, but understood the reason behind our decision. As I was about to go to the drama club to inform the members of our departure, Louis grabbed me by the shoulder.

"Unmei, do you know what the Back Alley Market is?" asked Louis. 

The Back Alley Markey... Yafya always went on about having to go there whenever a herbivore was kidnapped, whenever there was an illegal drug being sold, there were too many cases that involved said place that I could barely keep up. 

"I know about the BAM, I know very well of it thanks to Yafya." I said to Louis. 

Louis put his other hand on my other shoulder, making sure that he had my full attention. "Whatever you do, don't go into the BAM."

"Don't worry Louis, you do remember who raised me right?" I smirked, yet Louis' face didn't budge. He was being serious. 

Did something happen with you in the BAM?

I caught up with Legoshi as I see him walking down to the club room. 

"Hey Legoshi, guess who's coming along with you guys to the city." 

Legoshi looked confused. "Hm, I don't know Unmei, who?" 

"Me you dumb wolf." I pulled out the off-campus slip to show him. His expression turned happy when he saw the slip. "I have to tell the others about me coming along, so I'll come talk to you after when I finish my rounds." 

The next day, the group and I head over to the city, and that's when my eyes stared at everything around me. I saw animals of different species and class mingling with one another, I see birds flying in the sky, everything looks awesome! I look over at Legoshi to see his tail wagging in excitement, I assume he was happy to be out here too.