Chapter 20 - A pile of Lies

-3rd Person-

The next day, David was back at SO15. He was waiting for Louise who eventually came in.

"Finally we've got your shooter. Sargent Andrew Apsted." she told him and David froze "Served in Helmand Provence, two tours." the face of his former friend stared back at him.

"Get this he was EOD. This could be the original bomb maker or an accomplice to Longcross." Rayburn noticed his reaction.

"Sorry. Brings it all back." he gulped.

"It's...it's brilliant." she put the file down as a interview was about to take place.

"Listen, David, with everything that's going on maybe we've not paid enough attention to the fact the shooter blew his brains out in front of you. You lost one of your principals and one of your team. The other Principal was hurt. I think it would be a good idea if you stepped away from the inquiry and we get you some time with the councillor, yeah?"

"No, No way. Figuring out who almost killed Mi, who killed Julia, that's all that matters. That' the only thing that's gonna make me feel okay again."

"I think it ruins deeper than that, you just called them Mi and Julia."

"What do you expect, you know what went on."

"You care for her." Rayburn saw the look in his eyes, she knew that what went on between him and Mia went deeper than their first thought. David saw on the monitors that Nadia, had arrived and was sat down.

"We're good to go." he motioned to leave

-----

"We've got some plausible locations the car park you described. I'm afraid we weren't able to see your husband's car or any time of meeting on any of the CCTV camera's relating to the car park's themselves. We've looked at adjacent locations and produced some images of persons of interest." Rayburn informed the other woman.

"Just take your time Nadia. Do you recognise this man?" he showed her a CCTV image. Nadia shook her head.

"The interviewee is shaking her head." David showed more CCTV pictures none of them were a match. Then Rayburn brought out a picture of Apsted. David shifted uncomfortably, hoping that she would say no. Nadia took a long look. Then shook her head.

"Sorry." David, relaxed.

"It's ok Nadia, thank you." Rayburn went to end the interview when David pulled out a photo of Longcross.

"What about this man."

"You can't do that." Rayburn tried to stop him.

"I am doing."

"This wasn't included in disclosure." The solicitor stated.

"Nadia, please look at the e-fit." She did look between the picture and David.

"Nadia, lives depend on this. Do you know this man?" She slowly nodded

"Nadia already described the man as IC4/6" she stated annoyed at David.

"Were you too afraid to tell the ruth? Was the man actually white?" She nodded again.

"Is this the man your husband met?" She nodded again.

------

Rayburn was showing Sharma what happened in the interview.

"It's not evidential. An e-fit never gives a true likeness. There's a chance she's mistaken." Sharma concluded

"Right now, though, that's not really the point, is it?" Rayburn retorted

"As your DCI, I'd say it actually is." David entered