"Serv-servants daughter." She managed to say. Chewing her lip, for she knew who the young boy before her was. He would tell all to his dad. The most powerful man in the kingdom.

"What's your name?" He asked, his eyes studying her response.

"Bethany Bolace," she sniffed. Her small frame slumped forward. "I'm sorry I never intended to come in here," she lied. It was for a good cause. "I'm so sorry, my mother always tells me I get into too much trouble. Please, your majesty, don't tell King Thomas." She hiccuped and swiped the single tear with irritation.

Bowing before him, she waited to hear the chaste words and promise he would tell everything. A long moment passed and she dared not to look up. It would be a great disregard to the prince.

"I won't." He surprised her by laughing, "Besides, my dad tells me that too. He says that it takes a whole town to keep me from trouble." He gave a small chuckle. Yet she still did not raise her head. Anyone of any importance never gave anything other than a harsh command. Why was he being kind to her?

Her heart fluttered and she wondered if something was wrong. She never had that before. Taking in a breath she smiled at the ground. Raising her head slightly, she allowed a small peak at him. Looking into his eyes she was amazed. He looked at her back.

The golden hazel specks made his eyes glow like amber. Warm like the summer sun. Kind. It was the first time she ever saw the prince, his hair was as they said, gold and curly, eyes just as bright. He was also taller than her. Standing a few inches above her head. He was different than others.

Even his clothes, though he were a prince, he was dressed much simpler than those of his friends. She wondered how he was allowed that.

"So Bethany, do you read?" He nodded to the book that stuck out from the rest, the one she hastily put back. She felt embarrassed.

"No, I do not, your majesty." Bethany answered him. She mindlessly rubbed her hand where the healing scabs on the palm of her hand. From last time she got into trouble.

"Call me Ronald." Prince Ronald the first.

Her mouth dropped open a little. His first name? That was unheard of. A servant must always refer to anyone as Lady, Sir, Majesty. Never say their name without the proper address.

She kept her distance, but he insisted to follow him to the fireplace where he ordered her to sit across from him in the armchair. Bethany sat perched on the chair, for fear of soiling the soft red velvet covered armchair.

"Would you like to learn to read?"

She only starred. Unsure of what to say she only nodded.

"You don't speak much do you?" He tilted his head, curiosity shone his eyes. He smiled at her, making her feel welcome to answer truthfully.

"I'm but a mere servant's daughter, when I will be old enough, I will be serving you, your majesty. I should not be allowed to speak to you." She kept her eyes respectful, cast down to their feet. "Besides I was taught only speak when being spoken to. Not many people speak to me."

In the corner of her eye she saw the prince shrug, and sat closer to her. "I am." He said simply. The prince went back to looking at the book. She didn't let it show but she all of a sudden felt a ball of nerves at the pit of her stomach. He opened to the first page, and pointed at the first letter.

He sat and with care, sounded every letter out for her. Bethany sat coward more, absorbing everything he was saying with rapt attention.

The sounds were familiar, so it was only a matter of connecting the sound to the letter. For the next half hour they sat sounding out letters and stringing words. She smiled when she read the first word, "Thine.."

"That's right!" He exclaimed. "See I knew you could do it-" The prince was cut off, the large door opened. The sound sent off warning bells through her.

"Your majesty you are asked in the front hall. His Majesty King Thomas the third is nearing home. His trip was cut short." The prince cast a quick glance at her, but the butler didn't see her. Thankfully. He stood and walked off ensuring the butler wouldn't come closer where he would see her.

Bethany didn't dare let out a single breath, she sat as still as she could.

When the prince was at the door, he looked back at Bethany, and gave her a small wink. Smiling, he walked off with the butler trailing behind him. The door closed and she ran as fast as her little legs could allow, back to the servants door. Not caring to put the book back on the shelf, it was left there on the armchair.

Leaning against the staircase she felt the cold stone wall biting into her flesh. She tried calming her breath before she would go back to the quarters, but before she could a servant round the staircase.

"Marie!" Bethany said in surprise.

The servant wasn't happy to see her, "There you are, I was looking everywhere for you!" She grabbed the collar of her dress, Bethany gave a small welp when the collar ripped. The servants' brows were drawn in an angry scowl. "To think that you never learned from last night!" She was pulled further, walking as fast as she could to keep up.

"Why am I always the one forced to look after you?" She grumbled as she walked even faster.

Oh no. She would be in trouble. She knew it. When she saw her mother in the doorway to the hot kitchen, her mother stood hands on her hips and perspiration gleaming on her forehead. Not in a happy mood. Gulp.