Chapter Twenty-One

Beginne am Anfang

Claire pulled back so she could look at me. “I remember, I remember everything. God, I am so sorry."

"Remember?" Shane asked. "But, they said it wouldn't come back?"

"I know. But as soon as I was out of town, I knew something was wrong. I mean, it was weird. I didn't remember Morganville, or vampires, or anything. But I knew that I needed to turn back, so I did. And Shane, I am so sorry."

I kissed her, stopping her from talking. I could taste the salt from her tears as they fell from her eyes. She parted her lips, and gripped onto my shirt. “Don’t leave me, Claire.” I murmured between kisses.

“I won’t,” She smiled at me. “I love you, Shane.”

That was the best thing I had heard in a long time, and I couldn’t hide the smile that spread over my lips. “I love you too. More than you would ever know, Claire.”

* * *

CLAIRE’S POINT OF VIEW

Claire had forgotten just how comfortable Shane’s bed was. She’d forgotten how warm, and cosy it was. And then there was Shane. And oh God, she’d forgotten how heart-warming, and warm he was too. She felt safe in his embrace, and was captivated by his golden-brown eyes. Claire had fallen asleep wearing nothing but one of Shane’s oversized shirts. When she woke up, Shane had once again disappeared from the bed.

His clothes were still left abandoned in a pile all over the floor. Claire stretched and let out a big yawn as she slipped out of the bed. She didn’t bother changing; instead she pulled on her silk robe and wore it over Shane’s shirt. Come on, she was practically living with family. The smell of chicken soup filled the whole house, and Claire’s stomach rumbled even louder with each step she descended.

“Smells good,” Claire smiled as she walked into the kitchen. Eve and Shane were leaning over the hot stove. It looked like Shane was trying to drop in a few cloves of garlic, and Eve was protesting.

Eve was all dressed up in her Gothic Glory. Her outfit was a black corset and a puffy neon green skirt. Her black hair had streaks of blue and green and her eye shadow was a matching lime. Her lips were painted blue and they turned up into a smile. The smile kind of faltered when she saw what Claire was wearing.

Eve’s eyes moved up and down, examining the dark shirt and robe, then they moved to Shane. Unlike Eve, Shane had decided that he wasn’t ready to dress up.

He wore cotton pyjama bottoms and no shirt. He smiled and winked at Claire.

“Oh,” Eve interrupted. Her cheeks took on a slight pink tone. Eve glared at Shane and smacked him across the head.

“Hey!” Shane ducked the next hit and dodged out of the way. He stumbled into the table and tipped over one of the chairs. “What did I do wrong?”

Eve pulled a face, no doubt thinking, ‘You dumbass, what the hell are you doing?’

Claire smiled and laughed. “It’s okay, Eve. I remember.”

Eve’s eyebrow raised, and a puzzled expression crossed her face. Claire could actually see the news hit her, as she realized what was going on. “Well that explains everything! I was wondering why you were still here, I mean, because you were leaving. And then I was like; Shane wouldn’t sleep with you. I mean, not that he doesn’t like sleeping with you, but because –”

“She gets it Eve.” Shane said and rolled his eyes.

“Oh C.B., I’m glad you’re back.” Eve pulled Claire into a hug.