chapter twenty one - a hug from Simon

To say that Aurora was confused would be a gross understatement

To say that Aurora was confused would be a gross understatement. She had returned from a rather lengthy walk in the park (escorted by her companion when she finally managed to catch up) to discover Simon, Daphne, Violet, Benedict, Colin, her three brothers and quite frankly the last man on earth who she wanted to see at that present moment - Anthony Bridgerton - all congregated in the sitting room.

When she entered the sitting room they all lept into action, clearly awaiting her presence.

Upon spotting them all she very nearly closed the door and wandered up to her room but the pleading look on Simon's face made her stay.

"Simon" she ignored everyone else, "It is lovely to see you."

He chuckled at her behaviour.

"Perhaps you and I might have a short conversation? In the hallway?"

Aurora knew he was going to bring up the marriage but in truth she did not mind so much. He was possibly the only person who she felt might understand.

They had barely made it out of the room when she engulfed him in a tight hug. It had been several years since they had last hugged - not since his father died.

They were still embracing when Simon spoke.

"Aurora you should know that it wasn't Bridgerton's idea. Harding asked for your hand and through some foolish chain of events your brothers declared you were already engaged. Anthony was very decent to have agreed to the whole thing so please do not take out your anger on him."

Aurora hugged Simon tighter, unaware that Anthony Bridgerton had quietly slipped from the sitting room and was now observing their conversation.

"I hate him! I hate that I never had the chance to fall in love. I shall never make him happy and I am certain he will not make me happy. He thinks me immature and unaccomplished, I know he does!"

Anthony looked at her, hurt by her words.

"Is that true?" Anthony's voice came out surprisingly broken.

She immediately parted from Simon and lifted her gaze to see Anthony. A look of genuine upset was etched into his face.

"Will I never make you happy?"

Suddenly Aurora was reminded of the great sacrifice he had made. Yes, she would not marry the person of her choosing, but neither would he.

Aurora looked up to Simon and he nodded, understanding that she wished for sometime alone with the Viscount. He took several steps backwards and sat at the bottom of the stairs where he could keep an eye on the pain without interfering or overhearing their conversation.

"It was wrong of me to say that, Lord Bridgerton. I was upset but you are not to blame." She turned away from him, unable to old his piercing gaze.

"Aurora I want you know that I do not intend on making any-" at this Anthony took in a deep breath "-proposals until you are quite ready to accept." He looked at her, nervous to gage her reaction.

Aurora was still stood facing away from hm and would not - could not turn to face him.

"You would merely be prolonging the inevitable. I will still have to marry you."

Anthony took a cautious step toward her.

"I did not know it would cause you such distress. I can speak to your brother if such an arrangement truly pains you." He tried his best to be sincere in his suggestion but Anthony could not help the hint of hurt in his voice.

"No" Aurora finally turned to face him, "I do not wish to embarrass my family. Besides," she attempted a fragile smile, "there are far worse men for me to be sold to."

Anthony was rendered speechless for a moment. He took a step closer to the young woman causing Simon to raise his gaze from the book he had found and was supposedly reading. He was surprised at his best friend's boldness.

"Is that really what you think? That you are being sold to me?" Anthony's voice was unexpectedly gentle and suddenly Aurora was unable to meet his eye.

"Aurora I could never 'own' you! You are far to wild and, aside from that fact, I do not believe marriage to be such an exchange of goods. No, you would be equal to me in every respect. Do not doubt it."

There was an extended silence before Aurora whispered a reply.

"You do not love me. I do not love you" at this she looked up at him, the two were now less than two metres apart. "It may be foolish but I have always wanted to marry for love."

"Is it not entirely possible that you might grow to love me, as dull and boring as I am?" Anthony chuckled softly but his humour became awkward quickly.

"I thought you didn't believe in love, my Lord."

There was a lengthy pause which Aurora perceived as meaning the conversation was over. She took a moment to collect herself before leaving the hallway and returning to the sitting room. Had she stated a moment longer, she might have caught the Viscount's muttered response to her comment:

"It would appear that I was wrong."

Simon smirked behind his copy Pride and Prejudice.

*****

Wow this chapter was quite long!

I have to say I do quite like brotherly Simon - I think he might become more of a common occurrence.

So Aurora and Anthony have a bit of a heart to heart, she still doesn't seem too happy about the prospect of marriage though.