Chapter 12

Last night had been a crazy night. Korra challenged Amon to a duel at Avatar Aang Memorial Island. Luckily she wasn't hurt, I'm not sure what we would have done if she was hurt.

I pack my bag with my training gear in the room Pema made up for me. The sun shines brightly through the small window, which gives me more energy to face the day today.

A faint knock sounds on my door causing me to turn around. My eyes widen at the sight of Korra standing in the doorway.

"Oh, hey. Umm, can I help you?" I ask awkwardly. We haven't spoken a lot whilst I've been here. I know she said she wanted us to start over, but I don't really know where I stands with her.

"Hey, I was about to head to training. I was wondering if you would want to go together?" She asks. I smile at her and nod.

"Sure, I was heading there now too." I say as I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder. We walk side by side out of the grounds and onto the ferry to take us to Republic City.

Our journey isn't awkward even though we remain silent, it's comforting. It feels as though all the awkwardness between us is falling away. Maybe my Grandpa was right. Maybe we are destined to be best friends. One day.

We walk into the training room and instantly meet the two brothers who smile widely at us.

"Yes! We have the full team together again." Bolin smiles. Korra runs over to them and I hang back. They weren't smiling at us, they were smiling at Korra.

"Guys I'm really sorry that I haven't been here. I'm ready to work twice as hard now." She says as she puts her helmet on. The boys put theirs on too and the three of them stand in a triangle ready to spar against each other. I watch them prepare to fight for a moment before turning around and walking to the exit.

"Ula, you not joining?" Bolin yells to me. I stop walking at turn to the group.

"You guys train, I'm going to do some research for the match." I reply. I leave them to train and I make my way around the training centre. I pull my hood up in attempt to stop people from recognising me.

It isn't long before I hear yells in one of the training rooms. I sneak to the doorway and look in to see three woman bending the elements at one another. The Earth bender slams her helmet to the ground in frustration.

"How are we going to win against the Avatar with our sloppy bending." She groans in frustration. And that's all I need to hear. I slowly back away and out of sight with a small smile on my face. I recognise them from when I was watching the other qualifying matches. Umi, Ula and Adi, the benders from the Red Sands Rabbaroos. They're good, but I already know the plan to beat them.

I walk away from the training room and head back to  my friends. I could stay longer, but I feel that it's unfair for me to spy on them.

I am forced to stop as a tall man stands in front of me. I instantly feel slight discomfort when I recognise who it is. Tahno from the wolf-bats. He is narcissistic and mean, and I'm almost positive he has paid off the refs in the past.

He looks at me with a sickening smile and bows ever so slightly.

"Princess Ulazu, it's an honour to meet you. I must say, it's a shame that we couldn't be entering this championship tournament together. It would have been interesting to see the two best benders go head to head." He says as he takes my hand. I watch him closely as he kisses the back of my hand. What's his game? I take my hand from his and lower my hood.

"It is no bother. The Fire Ferrets earned the win in a fair way. I'm glad that I lost against them." I reply. I notice the corner of his mouth twitch at my comment, but he covers it up by widening his smile.