xlvii. Loose Ends

Start from the beginning

"We'll have to, Harry, she'll force it out of you anyway, what's... what's the point?"

Kaya really wished she actually knew what it was they were hiding from the woman.

"Well, well, well!" said Umbridge, looking triumphant. "Little Miss Question-all is going to give us some answers! Come on then, girl, come on!"

"Hermione, no!" Ron shouted.

"Have you gone fucking mental?!" Maddie said.

Ginny was staring at Hermione as though she had never seen her before. Neville, still choking for breath, was gazing at her, too. Diana even looked up at her in disbelief, for a second. But Jaeden actually managed to notice something that Kaya didn't - and that was the fact that, even though she was supposedly crying, there was no trace of a tear.

"I'm - I'm sorry everyone,' said Hermione. "But I can't stand it,"

"That's right, that's right, girl!" said Umbridge, seizing Hermione by the shoulders, thrusting her into the abandoned chintz chair and leaning over her. "Now then... with whom was Potter communicating just now?"

"Well," gulped Hermione into her hands. "Well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore,"

Kaya exchanged wide eyes with Jaeden.

"Dumbledore?" said Umbridge eagerly. "You know where Dumbledore is, then?"

"Well... no!" sobbed Hermione. "We've tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog's Head-"

"Idiot girl - Dumbledore won't be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry's looking for him!" shouted Umbridge, disappointment etched in every sagging line of her face.

Everyone's - except Diana's - eyes were fixed on Hermione, wondering what it was she was going to say next. Kaya didn't want to believe she was telling the truth. She wouldn't rat them out like that, really?

"But - but we needed to tell him something important!" Hermione wailed, holding her hands more tightly over her face.

"Yes?" said Umbridge with a sudden resurgence of excitement. "What was it you wanted to tell him?"

"We ... we wanted to tell him it's r-ready!" she choked.

"What's ready?" demanded Umbridge, and now she grabbed Hermione's shoulders again and shook her slightly. "What's ready, girl?"

"The... the weapon," said Hermione.

"Weapon? Weapon?" said Umbridge, and her eyes seemed to pop with excitement. "You have been developing some method of resistance? A weapon you could use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore's orders, of course?"

Kaya almost sighed with relief. Okay, so she's definitely bullshitting. Thank fuck.

"Yes," gasped Hermione, "But he had to leave before it was finished and now we've finished it for him, and we c-can't find him to tell him!'

"What kind of weapon is it?" said Umbridge harshly, her stubby hands still tight on Hermione's shoulders.

"We don't really understand it," said Hermione, sniffing loudly. "We just did what Professor Dumbledore told us to do."

Umbridge straightened up, looking exultant.

"Lead me to the weapon," she said.

"I'm not showing... them," said Hermione shrilly, looking around at the Inquisitorial Squad through her fingers.

'It is not for you to set conditions,' said Professor Umbridge harshly.

"Fine," said Hermione, now sobbing into her hands again. 'Fine... let them see it, I hope they use it on you! In fact, I wish you'd invite loads and loads of people to come and see! Th-that would serve you right - oh, I'd love it if the whole school knew where it was, and how to use it, and then if you annoy any of them they'll, be able to sort you out!"

Kaya had to bite the inside of her cheek to stop herself from grinning.

These words had a powerful impact on Umbridge.
She glanced swiftly and suspiciously around at her Inquisitorial Squad, her bulging eyes resting for a moment on Malfoy, who was too slow to disguise the look of eagerness and greed that had appeared on his face.

Umbridge contemplated Hermione for another long moment, then spoke in what she clearly thought was a motherly voice.

'All right, dear, let's make it just you and me ... and we'll take Potter, too, shall we? Get up, now.'

"Professor," said Malfoy eagerly, "Professor Umbridge, I think some of the Squad should come with you to look after-"

"I am a fully qualified Ministry official, Malfoy, do you really think I cannot manage two wandless teenagers alone?" asked Umbridge sharply.

"As if you'd help, anyway," Diana told him with a dirty look.

"In any case, it does not sound as though this weapon is something that schoolchildren should see. You will remain here until I return and make sure none of these-" she gestured around at everyone else "-escape,"

"All right," said Malfoy, looking sulky and disappointed.

"And you two can go ahead of me and show me the way," said Umbridge, pointing at Harry and Hermione with her wand. "Lead on."