xlvii. Loose Ends

Start from the beginning

If she wasn't wearing it, it would sit on her bed, and sometimes she'd grab ahold of it, every now and then, and hold it up to her nose, the comforting smell of her Fred seemingly taking away all her stress for a moment. Sometimes she even put it over her pillow and fell asleep with his scent surrounding her all night.

Of course, the two still had their book to keep in contact, and Kaya liked having the jumper near when writing to Fred through the pages. It was the closest thing possible to having him here.

Inspired by Fred and George's example, a great number of students were now vying for the new positions of Hogwarts' troublemakers. In spite of the new door, somebody managed to slip a hairy-snouted Niffler into Umbridge's office, which promptly tore the place apart in its search for shiny objects, leapt on Umbridge when she entered and tried to gnaw the rings off her stubby fingers. Kaya had suspected Lee and Maddie were behind it - especially since they, as well as many other students, also dropped Dungbombs and Stink Pellets so frequently in the corridors that it became the new fashion for students to perform Bubble-Head Charms on themselves before leaving lessons, which ensured them a supply of fresh air, even though it gave them all the peculiar appearance of wearing upside-down goldfish bowls on their heads.

Jaeden had made sure to get several pictures of the pranks with the camera he'd gotten last year, not only to show the twins, but because it was very clearly one of the best things that came out of this school year.

It also became obvious just how many Skiving Snackboxes Fred and George had managed to sell before leaving Hogwarts. Umbridge only had to enter her classroom for the students assembled there to faint, vomit, develop dangerous fevers or else spout blood from both nostrils. Shrieking with rage and frustration, she attempted to trace the mysterious symptoms to their source - but Jaeden and Lee had once told her stubbornly they were suffering from 'Umbridge-itis', and so many students jumped on the bandwagon and claimed they also had caught the disease.

After putting four successive classes in detention and failing to discover their secret, she was forced to give up and allow the bleeding, swooning, sweating and vomiting students to leave her classes in droves. Even Kaya had used a couple Nosebleed Nougats herself (she didn't fancy vomiting or sweating, and so a bleeding nose seemed to be the best option).

Not to mention the chaos caused by Peeves, who seemed to have taken Fred's parting words deeply to heart. Cackling madly, he soared through the school, upending tables, bursting out of blackboards, toppling statues and vases. Twice he shut Mrs. Norris inside a suit of armour, from which she was rescued, yowling loudly, by the furious caretaker. He smashed lanterns and snuffed out candles, juggled burning torches over the heads of screaming students, caused neatly stacked piles of parchment to topple into fires or out of windows; flooded the second floor when he pulled off all the taps in the bathrooms, dropped a bag of tarantulas in the middle of the Great Hall during breakfast (which Kaya wasn't a great fan of, truth be told) and, whenever he fancied a break, spent hours at a time floating along after Umbridge and blowing loud raspberries every time she spoke.

But, amongst all the amusement that came with the pranks of the Hogwarts students, the reality still stood that it was not long to go now, until their final exams. It was the final exams, too, and Kaya and her friends were absolutely bricking it. Every free moment was devoted to revision, and the dreaded feeling that it was all she was going to be doing for the next couple of weeks made the girl want to cry.

Furthermore, it had been hers and Jaeden's last Quidditch match ever this previous Saturday, and both had played as if their lives depended on it. After all, it had been a case of now, or never when it came to winning.

Hufflepuff had won, much to Kaya's delight, and she had admittedly shed a tear or two when the entire team flooded her with tight hugs as a sign of love and gratitude for her years as one of their Chasers (in fact, Maisie would say they treated her as if she were their Captain). It was times like these it was really beginning to hit Kaya that, fuck, she really was leaving. This was it.