Advice and Avarice

Start from the beginning

"No. Literally he's probably just private about his personal life, and there's no evidence. This is ridiculous, it's total gossip. I can't believe you would believe such a ridiculous lie."

"Hey!" Lucas walked up to the pair. "Hailey! It's been forever, since middle school right?"

"Yeah." Hailey smiled proudly. "How's it going?"

"Good! Hi Vinny! Hey, do either of you know what everybody's talking about? People keep like.... Looking at me and then laughing or something."

"Just how well you've been playing!" Hailey answered quickly. "Everybody's wondering why."

"Oh? That's weird. I never understand why people get so involved with other's people personal lives."

"That's what I said." Vincent agreed.

"Sure.. yeah yeah. So, Lucas, would you happen to know anything about a good luck charm?" Hailey attempted to ask slyly.

"Hailey." Vincent scolded.

"Yeah!" Lucas wrapped his arm lazily around Vincent's shoulder. "Vincent comes to all my games to make sure we win. He got me out of my slump!"

"Good to know." Hailey smiled triumphantly, well, I've got to run, see you guys later."

"She was in a hurry." Lucas said once Hailey left earshot. "Any particular reason?"

"She's just... well.... The rumor is about somebody being lucky for you... but in like a romantic way. That's what she's speculating."

"So?"

"Well Hailey seems to think you like me." Vincent stated.

"I do like you."

"I know, but she thinks it's romantic." Vincent explained.

"And that bothers you?"

"No! No.. I mean yes... well I thought it would bother you, and..." Vincent rambled. "Since we're just friends and everything."

"It doesn't bother me."

"It doesn't?" Vincent nearly choked.

"No. People say shit about me all the time. I don't really care what anyone says, besides nobody really believes all the crap they hear 
anyway, right? My personal life is my business and anyone who doesn't respect that isn't worth it." Lucas reasoned.

"I suppose that's true."

"Alright.. well... Um. I gotta go. I'll see you?" Lucas ran his hand over the back of his neck.

"Definitely." Vincent nodded. Lucas patted him on the back before making his way towards his next class.

Lucas seemed strange when he left, and Vincent couldn't blame him, it was probably really hard to have people speculating about his personal life all the time, and Vincent didn't know how he could deal with it. Lucas was so strong, so much stronger than Vincent could ever be.

     If anyone ever found out Lucas had a male good luck charm, there'd be a lot of explaining to do, and Vincent didn't want to be the reason people were calling Lucas names or angry with him.

"What's your name?" A voice shook him from his thoughts, and Vincent looked up to see a girl he recognized from the party a few weeks prior with Lucas. "Was it... it was Vin- Vincent, right?"

"That's right."

"I'm-"

"Sarah," Vincent finished for her, remembering her name. "I know."

       "Yeah... you and Lucas are friends right?"

      "Um..." Vincent struggled wondering if in light of the rumor he should even say he and Lucas had any connection, but thought better of it. "Yes... we are."

      "Do you... do you happen to know if he's single? Because I've hearing loads of stuff about him maybe being in a relationship and I wanted to ask you since I know you're friends and I wondered if it was true." Sarah rambled. Vincent felt a dagger through his heart; of course nobody would think him the good luck charm. Lucas was not gay. Nobody would suspect him of being gay because it would be too outlandish. And even if he were, he'd never settle for a person like Vincent.

      "He's.. yes he's single."

       "Then do you think I have a shot?"

       It hung in the air like an icicle forming on the abandoned house of Vincent's self worth.

      "It's just, I think you'd know him better than me, so I was wondering."

       "I'm not sure... you'd have to talk to Lucas about that. I can't speak for him, I'm sorry."

       "That's okay." Sarah flipped her ponytail. "This... good luck charm, do you think I have to worry about her?"

      "No. Lucas.. Lucas and the good luck charm are just friends."