Chapter Twenty-Three - Missing You

Start from the beginning

~

The second I fall into my usual seat at our lunch table, I dig my phone out of my pocket.

"Ooh, are you Facetiming Layla?" Anna asks as soon as she sees my phone out in front of me. I nod and she quickly slides into the spare seat beside me. The one Layla used to sit in.

After only a couple of rings, the call connects and Layla's face takes over the screen. Instantly, I feel a familiar tug in my stomach. I miss her. She has one of her gorgeous smiles spread across her face, eyes squinting and nose slightly scrunched. Her blonde hair is pulled up into a ponytail with small pieces out to frame her face. She looks adorable.

"Hi guys!" She practically squeals, her voice a higher octave than usual.

My own lips lift up into a smile for the first time today at the sight of her. I can't stop staring. "Hey, Sunshine."

She bites down on her bottom lip softly and my eyes are instantly drawn to the action. I can't help it. It's like my eyes have a mind of their own. "Hey, Reece." Her voice is soft and sweet. She's quieter. Sad. Just the thought of her sad makes my smile smaller.

"How's everything going?" Anna asks her.

"Pretty good. We ordered some of our furniture today, but our apartment is still pretty empty. We have a balcony with a pretty cool view though," she tells us and I hang onto her every word. Not only because I want to know how her new house is, but because she's just always able to capture me like that.

"Best friend!" Amanda's voice suddenly comes from behind me. Before I even have a chance to turn, she slides into the other seat beside me and sticks her head into frame.

Layla laughs and I cherish the sound, even if it sounds different over the phone. "Hi! How was your math quiz?"

I kind of zone out as they talk about school. I'm really just staring at her. Mark and Liam soon come and join us, talking with Layla while I get lost in my head. I wonder what this lunch would have been like if she was here in person. She would be sitting beside me. She would be stealing my food, thinking I wouldn't notice.

One thing wouldn't be different though. I would still find myself staring at her. A lot. Because sometimes I genuinely find it hard to believe that she's real.

Too many times during this FaceTime call, I find myself looking at her lips. But they're right there and I can't help it. Even on the screen, they look plump and glossy. God, I need to get a grip.

"Hi," A new voice interrupts Liam as he's telling Layla about his dream from last night in intricate detail. We all look up from my phone and see the girl from my Chemistry class standing there, lunch tray in hand. "Can I sit here?" She asks shyly. Meanwhile I'm just trying to remember her name. Does it start with an A? Definitely starts with a vowel. Maybe I?

"Ella! Of course," Amanda tells her and the girl smiles, taking a seat across from me. I guess Amanda has a class with her as well.

Everyone moves from crowding around me to sit in their seats. I guess they realized that they still have to eat.

"Who's Ella?" Layla asks. I bring the phone a little closer to me now that I'm the only one she can see. Her brows are furrowed in confusion.

I shrug nonchalantly, eating a fry from my tray, "Some girl from Chemistry class. She's new. She sat in your seat today."

Layla raises an eyebrow, "I'm being replaced already?"

I recoil, immediately shaking my head. "Absolutely not. No one can replace you, Sunshine."